Pick Bannerstone!!

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hi folks,
Been a long while since I had something worthy of posting , but finally scored a really nice find over the weekend. The hole was barely showing , but just enough to know what I was about to uncover.:headbang: About ten feet away was the Adena point and then about 3 hours more of walking with high hopes and nothing else turned up.

Twig.
059.JPG 060.JPG 063.JPG 072.JPG 075.JPG

Upvote 0

mghcal

Greenie
Dec 26, 2008
Great find and I've learned alot from your posting. I'd never heard of a bannerstone before but it's similar to something a friend of mine has. He has several with holes but there are two that stick out in my mind they were what he called California jade and they look almost like weights for a clock with holes on one end. If the hole isn't in the center is it still considered a bannerstone?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Great find and I've learned alot from your posting. I'd never heard of a bannerstone before but it's similar to something a friend of mine has. He has several with holes but there are two that stick out in my mind they were what he called California jade and they look almost like weights for a clock with holes on one end. If the hole isn't in the center is it still considered a bannerstone?

The big brass long cylinder weights on a grandfather clock, is that the look? Are they 3 dimensional as the clock weights? If not, it could be a gorget you are talking about. I do think I've seen banners like that also. I'd love to see them, if you can get a pic.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you are describing a Plumet to me. Pics would help on a new thread of your own.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments on the bannerstone. Sorry to have taken so long to get back on here. My place of employment shuts their doors permanently at the end of this week and we have been very busy getting all the equipment cleaned up and ready for moving. I will have some extra time now for field walking at least.
Twig.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! That doesn't happen too often! Love the insitu pics!

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
I have 2 examples of your find. I hope you dont mind me posting these. I can take them down if you like. I feel they look very close to what you have found. That way everyone can see. I have the book and hopefully one day I will need it for one of my finds. :icon_thumright:
Rock,
You never have to ask if you can post pictures on any thread I start.I will not complain and apreciate the input. Anyone is welcome to add to my threads and please do so. All questions are welcome also , although I may not be able to answer them , there are alot of folks on here that can and will. I hope you have to use that book real soon to I.D. a find of yours also.
Thank You, Twig.

DarkwaterDiver

Jul 31, 2011
Moncks Corner, SC.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Tejon land and Fisher, 1280x water
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful! That's on my wish list. I've got the Hook now looking for a Banner stone.
DSC00606.JPG

DarkwaterDiver

Jul 31, 2011
Moncks Corner, SC.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Tejon land and Fisher, 1280x water
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before there was the Bow and Arrows There was the Spear which could only be thrown so far and not with alot of power. So Man came up with the Atlatl which increased the power of the throw and the destance doubled if not tripled. The Banner stone was added to the shaft of the tool to builded momentum.
Atlatl throw.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions