no sleep...basal grounding?

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I have posted a thread without a find...but..I have been exploring the site tonight and wondered if anyone could shed light on what basal grounding is or looks like? I have seen that phrase a bunch in guidebooks and posts and I will admit I really don't know what it means. Any help will be appreciated...I'm going to sleep...but look forward to any input....damn the late afternoon naps...throws off the sleep schedule!

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basal grinding was done to lessen the chance of the material that the projectile was lashed to would not be severed.
Here is a a photo of basal grinding.

folder 2 004.JPG

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basal grinding was mostly used during the Paleo through Archaic periods and is basically just what it sounds like. They would grind the basal areas of their Points and Knives so they would be smooth and not cut the lashings used to attach the piece to the haft.

The easiest way to to tell if a base is ground or not is to run your finger across it. If it feels smooth then it is more than likely ground. If it still feels sharp and jagged then it's not ground.

Here are some pictures showing basal grinding on some of my Thebes and Lost Lake Points which are from the Early Archaic time period.

Attachments

• DSC_0176.jpg
    DSC_0176.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0172.jpg
    DSC_0172.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0170.jpg
    DSC_0170.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0167.jpg
    DSC_0167.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0166.jpg
    DSC_0166.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0175.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0178.jpg
    DSC_0178.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0216.jpg
    DSC_0216.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 84

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Joe - Both digger and reaper are right on. It was intentionally done presumably to not let the base cut through the lashings. Some are heavily ground and some are lightly ground. As Steve says the ole finger test is the easiest way to tell. Run your finger along the cutting edge of the blade first. Then run it along the basal areas. If there's no grinding they should feel about the same. If there is grinding you'll be able to tell the difference. Some are very heavily ground to the extent that is actually affects the outline of the piece and you can tell from 10' that it's a ground base. Others are ground much less heavily and will take a little more time to differentiate. Creek finds are occasionally hard to determine also as the creek washing dulls all of the blade edges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread