Artifacts

mghcal

Greenie
Dec 26, 2008
Hi everyone, I have never posted in this section of the forum before but after seeing the recent bannerstone find I was reminded of some artifacts a friend of mine has that he was asking me to id years ago. I went over to his house and took some photos. These were mostly found in northern Ca. Really hope some of you might be able to id some of this stuff especially the stones with holes.

Attachments

• artifact.jpg
    artifact.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 119
  • artifact1.jpg
    artifact1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two knobbed pieces on the right are called Charm Stones and the two drilled pieces on the left are commonly called Plummets, but are also called Charmstones in California. The grooved piece just below the two drilled pieces is more than likely a Charmstone as well that has just been damaged. I can't really help you on the Point types.

Great looking pieces your friend has.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:happysmiley:Id be faster for the ID if they were at my house. Very nice

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one below the points I am guessing that same size as them or is it bigger? If it is the same probably a grinder and ditto on Reaper on the rest. The points are just hard to tell with the damage.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We actually have a lot of fun with charm stones (fishing weights) from time to time on this forum! Spirited discussions. Just weight (get it?...wait) until Gator Boy sees what I wrote....

OP
OP
M

mghcal

Greenie
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for the ID help guys! These were mostly found in Yuba County but one of the plummets was found in the Feather River canyon in the 60's. The middle bottom that looks like some sort of hammer head to me is about the size of my fist, sorry for not including something for scale. A photo of the other side of the grooved piece, it has similar grooving on both sides. I really like the green stone, he calls it California jade but I think it's granite? He has more artifacts I'll post later when I get a chance to take photos. Any idea how they drilled holes in the tops of the plummets and anyone guess an age on these? Here's another arrowhead he had too that's a bit better shape. Thanks again you guys are great!:occasion14:

Attachments

• artifact2.jpg
    artifact2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 82
  • artifact3.jpg
    artifact3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 77
  • artifact4.jpg
    artifact4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 79
  • artifact5.jpg
    artifact5.jpg