A Quick Glance From A NC Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really normally don't do this but I'm describing what a small hobby turns into being after 20 years. Here is my dresser completely covered with rocks of all sorts. There's about 5 containers under my bed with rocks I've decided to collect since I was younger. I keep pieces out here basically for observation; they're my newer pieces. Also, I collect from the mines of the Appalachian Mtns whenever it's the right time of year. I have books, if needed. Any hobbyist like me enjoys a few good books/resources. Anyone have a book to suggest I would like to know, esp. for the East Coast or North Carolina. I have been trying to describe the natural landscapes in my area and the geology is very important part of archaeology here. With all this said, I would like to describe quickly about the importance of quartz. That is what all these lithic materials are made of; mainly flint, chert, rhyolite, obsidian and even meta-sandstone, schist, slate, shale and clay minerals. Natives, where ever you may live, knows that is the ingredient to make stones useable. That is when the geologist describes the surrounding landscape, the age and the process that created it. Then an archaeologist describes the nature of such material, having age/signature due to human modifications. I may not completely be knowledgeable about this subject b/c I certainly don't have a degree. That's why I enjoy the thought processes and seeing others thought processes are here on discussion. Anyone want to add anything else to my discussion I will gladly listen b/c all I want to gain is a better understanding myself and maybe for others who are needing to learn as well. Thanks and have a blessed day!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread