Perfect Knife River Point!

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Father's day was one to remember for me. Not only was it the first one I got to enjoy with my 6 month old son, but the wifey let me go looking with a buddy for a few hours in the morning and I found the best point in my collection to date. Knife River Flint Pelican Lake point if I'm not mistaken. Sorry there are no in-situs, but I poked it thinking it was a leaf and when I realized what it was, I grabbed it out of excitement. Found in S.W. Iowa....

ForumRunner_20130619_074323.png

Upvote 0

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
real nice husker
that KRF can be found all over
it comes from the KRF quarries at dunn center ND about 80 some miles NW of me
KRF was north dakotas first export commodity

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice to see a artifact again. Sounds like you had a good day.

OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for that info larson. There have been "experts" at local shows tell my buddy that there is no way KRF points can be found in s.e. nebrakska and s.w. iowa. Not even with the artifact as proof would they believe him. Shows how much they know......

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Thanks for that info larson. There have been "experts" at local shows tell my buddy that there is no way KRF points can be found in s.e. nebrakska and s.w. iowa. Not even with the artifact as proof would they believe him. Shows how much they know......

LOL Huskerhunter and yes there are experts everywhere.

By the way, nice find!

Last edited:

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008

Just as kind of an FYI I will add a picture of a KRF Agate Basin base that we found on an Agate Basin site that we hunt in Western Illinois. A friend of mine also recently found the base to a KRF Folsom or Clovis in western Indiana. I also know two other large Agate Basin points made from KRF from central and eastern Illinois. That stuff really gets around.

If you found KRF in Illinois it's usually attributed to either the paleo or Hopewell time periods. The paleo people moved great lengths while the Hopewell people likely traded for the materials. One of the most famous Hopewell Ross Blades was recovered from the Snyders Site in Calhoun County, Illinois. It was fashioned from a large piece of fine root beer colored KRF.

Congrats on the find. I can sense your excitement with the find and father's day!

Hippy

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 70

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Just as kind of an FYI I will add a picture of a KRF Agate Basin base that we found on an Agate Basin site that we hunt in Western Illinois.

Nice KRF Paleo frag Hippy.

With the the slightly concave base and oblique flaking I would
consider placing that one in the Angostura category.

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the only other piece of KRF I have found in this general area. Its kind of weird though since it is only partially worked on 1 side. I thought it was a piece of glass at first until I flipped it. Nice base Hippy. I would crap if I saw that thing poking out of the ground!

ForumRunner_20130619_212920.png

ForumRunner_20130619_212947.png

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Nice KRF Paleo frag Hippy.

With the the slightly concave base and oblique flaking I would
consider placing that one in the Angostura category.

Yeah, I used Agate Basin for the purposes of ease. Honestly, the pieces we find at this site dont seem to fit real well with anything. I agree that the oblique transverse flaking seems much like Angostura or Allen/Frederick, but the shape is somewhat different our normal Ango points we find here. The "ritual" properties of the site suggest them being related to Eden/Scottsbluff stuff that you see in Wisconsin. Nearly every lithic piece on this site has been brought in from great distances and primarily from the north.

Here's a link to give you a better idea of the site (see the article at the bottom of the page). This base was found after the article and picture were published during a controlled surface survey. We've been working with Tom Loebel and Matt Hill on doing controlled surface hunts and have hosted 2 field schools at the site. Unfortunately, all the lithic scatter is in the plow zone so whatever was happening here is somewhat lost.

Illinois State Archaeological Society (ISAS)

Hippy

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure and one to cherish. I thought we found the material here in a drill but found out later it was a local chert called Chickamauga black even though side by side it looked like KRF. I almost had Mr. Larson fooled for a little while.
Congratulations on your 6 month old son.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Here's a link to give you a better idea of the site (see the article at the bottom of the page). This base was found after the article and picture were published during a controlled surface survey. We've been working with Tom Loebel and Matt Hill on doing controlled surface hunts and have hosted 2 field schools at the site. Unfortunately, all the lithic scatter is in the plow zone so whatever was happening here is somewhat lost. Illinois State Archaeological Society (ISAS)
Hippy

Interesting paper Jeff, thanks for the link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread