pottery and a point

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Well sherds anyway, but that is good for our climate, and all the pieces were found in close proximity of each other, so maybe were joined at one time. And Buckshot found a wild looking point of Kay County chert. It's about 2 1/2 inches long. He found another nice uniface scraper too.

047.JPG 052.JPG 056.JPG

060.JPG 064.JPG

thanks for looking

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! That one Buckshot found is wild looking. That is a very cool material. Does the pottery not hold up well where you are at? Here it is very abundant. Used to you would not even pick it up. Now it is all picked up it seems. Yours looks like a cordage imprint. Nice hunt.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks vpnavy, Tnmountains, I've been told our area is too high in rain and humidity for pottery to remain long, and that it will be very rare to find much, let alone a whole piece. And I just don't think we had the population that the east had. Mosquitos drove us out, but I imagine we'll keep checking that spot for more.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that point.
Looks like quite a bit of smoothing was done in and around the notches.. early archaic? Do you know they type?
It looks like what we call a Greenbriar down here.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Good hunt, NG :hello2:! That point Buckshot found is fabulous!
And I love all that pottery---it looks different than the pieces we've found.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Carmon, I was trying to remember what you've found, I'll have to go back and look, or maybe you could post some pics here? We get so few looks at Okla. artifacts on tnet ;) The cordage impressions make sense, now that Tn mentioned them, I THINK I can see that.

Gator boy we have found multi cultural points here, so maybe archaic, we don't know enough to say. I'm saying Grand(?) buckshot is saying a re-worked something because of the way the tip of it looks. The flaking is not all that pretty, and hard to see because of how busy the dang thing is, but it makes me smile...thanks for the replies y'all.

and oh yeah, the base feels ground, not sure about the notches. The notches are what makes me think Grand, and the way the base is thinned..

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mabey look at Logan Creek or Hickory Ridge points and see what you think.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we are 100% humidity here and the wettest water shed yet the pottery survives as long as it buried. Once it comes out it goes quick. Might be a trash pit worth looking for. Have fun!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds! :icon_thumright: But that point is superb with that wild design on it.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carmon, I was trying to remember what you've found, I'll have to go back and look, or maybe you could post some pics here? We get so few looks at Okla. artifacts on tnet ;) The cordage impressions make sense, now that Tn mentioned them, I THINK I can see that..
Here's some of our pieces of pottery----the orange-ish pieces of pottery were on top of the ground(on that big old bluff/ridge where all the hominy holes are)......I was really surprised to find pottery pieces there, especially with them being exposed to the elements for years and years.
Pottery resized.jpg IMG_7301 (1024x684).jpg

Now look at this! Wish mine wasn't missing the tip---we'd have twins! :)
point collage resized.jpg

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
wow! look at that, they have almost the same fingerprints! Dang, I wish yours wasn't broken either Carmon, Thanks for the pottery pictures, I knew you had found some. The one in the center seems fairly similar. Maybe I was told finding them in the creek would be rare It's a rare find for us anyway, a trash pit would be nice.

Thanks for the suggestions gatorboy. I guess it could be a hickory ridge, and I couldn't find an example of a Logan's creek. We find more Grand than anything else, except the token scallorn, but to be honest I really am bad at typing. At least this one isn't a total frustration, it's fun to look at without knowing what it is.

thanks
lisa

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just thought by the photos that the point you found is a side notched point..whereas Grand is corner notched.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"and I couldn't find an example of a Logan's creek."

Logan Creek is found way to far north of you. It's doubtful you would find one down there. I also think many types are, well, over typed. So, I wouldn't get to hung up on it.

Super cool material and point, whatever it is.

Joel

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Logan_Creek.gif
Logan Creek documented distribution
I think there are too many separate names for the same points actually ... the same point in three states having three names is a bit much.
A name based on the center of distribution and the material source should be enough.

Last edited:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool piece & not one I've seen here on the coast.:thumbsup: I have found one marked up like it but feel like it's some type of banded slate.The only other thing I've ever seen like it is a piece of petrified wood I found awhile back in a shell midden.Looks like grow rings in your piece.It's cool thanks for the show.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 79

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool piece & not one I've seen here on the coast.:thumbsup: I have found one marked up like it but feel like it's some type of banded slate.The only other thing I've ever seen like it is a piece of petrified wood I found awhile back in a shell midden.Looks like grow rings in your piece.It's cool thanks for the show.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Where did you find that? "State"
It looks alot like a fossil coral Newman point from Florida.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions