diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a gorget. :-\ I've seen similar ones made of granite and phorphery in the "knoblock collection".Here's a couple other examples-

Attachments

• 11500a.jpg
    11500a.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 414
  • 11500b.jpg
    11500b.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 422
  • gorget1.jpg
    gorget1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 418
OP
OP
D

dadzilla

Jan 14, 2007
Texas Poast Oak Savannah
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 505
Thanks for the replies, we thought of that the only thing is the back of this item is carved out evenly the whole length, As it to fit over something . Were the gorgets worn with holes horizontal or vertical.

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
To me it looks like an Atlatl Weight. I have seen the same thing as you originally posted but without the holes. The ones I saw had notches on the outer curve to accommodate sinew to tie it to the Atlatl staff or handle. The inside curve would sit flat to the Staff-Handle.

This is a weight like the gorgets are said to be. This is a small weight compared to the heavier Gorget. When I say Gorget I mean the butterfly type with a tube drilled through.

Here is a diagram I made.
Hope it helps.
~Zeawolf~

Attachments

• Atlatl Weight Concept.JPG
    Atlatl Weight Concept.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 370
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Right on the money again Cannonman. Definitely a "boatstone"....aka atlatl weight. It looks like a gorget, but most of those are flat with two holes and not curved.

It fit against the atlatl stick to offer weight or counterbalance. Those things were apparently precious to owners for the boatstons are usually quite elaborate and labor intensive. I have never found one....kinda jealous. Congrats on a really nice piece of history.

Atlantis

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
dadzilla said:
COII Roadrunner said:
Not saying its not a boatstone, but where is the curves and why the holes
After reading t
he article on this page I guess may be it was also used as a charm.
http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/OKArtifacts/boatstone.htm

Primary function was as a counter balance for an atl-atl - all about physics. Any secondary purposes they may have had (such as also being a good luck piece or charm) would have been coincidental at best and while entirely possilbe, perhaps even likely, there's really no way to prove it. One might argue about the more intricate and effigy types, birdstone and the pop eyes in particular seem a bit fancy to be used stricly as a counter balance but then again maybe the were showing off their skill as craftsmen, or maybe they were representations of a particular clan, or... the possibilities are almost endless but the key point here is that the primary function was as a weight, not a magic charm or necklace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread