Rare find for my location

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Finally braved the wet and cold weather and did a little digging. I found what appears to be a crystal arrowhead. Crystal or "clear rock" as most people here would call it is rather rare for this neck of the woods.

Upon close inspection, there are three lines running parallel to one another on this piece...these have some dirt and inclusions in them. There is a chance that this is a piece of really clear agatized palmwood and those lines are 'grain' in the wood. I will put a magnifying glass to it and see what I can figure out later. Anyhow it was a really nice find and a first for me. I have 'clear' points that are colored...red, topaz, and pink...mostly of agatized petrified wood, but no clear ones.

I also found about 90% of a pot about a foot away from the point. The odd thing about that is this is a mostly paleo site....very little pottery ever found there. Seems another component to this site has appeared... ;D ;D ;D

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• crystal 001.jpg
    crystal 001.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 8,468
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Bummer, Tony, I thought those points were yours.

T

treasurejack

Angelo,
Do you happen to know of a similar site in Indiana or the Midwest?

A

atifact

The point you have is an archaic point,looks to be heat treated agate.I believe this because I was a collector for 40 yrs (indiana)and flint knapper for 30.But I could be wrong just by looking at picture.Very nice find!

lincha

Feb 27, 2007
Iowa
Could be made out of mica, looks like settlers in the old days also used this material to make window panes.

Gecko

Mar 1, 2007
Aloha Atlantis,

GREAT FIND!!!!

What state did you find it in? This point really looks like it is made from a piece of Montana Moss Agate. I have found a couple of points similar to this while rockhounding, both points were only partial but one of them had dark lines through it similar to yours. the other partial point had a "moss blossom' in it. My hubby is a flint knapper and has made many points out of heat-treated Montana Moss and it has that same translucency. what a beautiful point. good luck with the pot,bye the way

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Hey Gecko,

The point was found in NW Louisiana.....a little away from Montana. I have about decided through inspection and some many expert opinions on here that its indeed agatized petrified palm wood. Some of that stuff is nearly clear while some has a hue of yellow, pink or red. Its a rare material...the palm wood is not so rare, but the clear agatized kind is. Here is a couple of photos of palm wood....I have posted these before, but just wanted to show what palm wood normally looks like.

The first photo is a pretty little beveled pt. Classic golden palm wood. The second photo shows some assorted points the the top two on the left are palm wood....a second shot of the beveled and one with more pink on it. Palm wood points can be chipped across the grain giving a dalmation or polka dot appearance or with the grain giving the long string appearing point like the first one. I have a dozen or so palm points, and need to make some better photos of them. Have one white spear point made from palm wood...you find more of them to my south.

Atlantis

Attachments

• palmwoodpt.jpg
    palmwoodpt.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5,431
  • Assort.jpg
    Assort.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 5,418
  • palmwoodpt.jpg
    palmwoodpt.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5,424
  • Assort.jpg
    Assort.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 5,434

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
That is absolutely awesome! A point made of material that clear is very rare! I like how it has that ore vein running through it. Almost like detail striping! ;D

Very nice find Atlantis!

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool and brings back some memories. When I was a teenager I was into flint-knapping for awhile. I could make some points out of glass, but only the bottoms of a Mason jar. The newer glass was too brittle and it would break. The only way to notch it was if it was a really shallow, dull notch. I could never get both sides to take a deep notch, the point would always break.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some of the points I have left. I gave most of them away to family and friends... I even bought a good grade in Mo History with one to a very appreciative teacher.

I'm not saying that your find is glass, I'm just saying thanks for posting... it brought back some very cool memories...

Attachments

• PICT0143.JPG
    PICT0143.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 5,133
S

Southern Points

Atlantis, Your collection, what I've seen so far is Sweeeeeeet. Keep'um comin...."D"

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is beyond words!!! The find of a lifetime :) Speaking of glass.... at the spot where I find 99% of my points, I keep finding glass that is absolutely shaped like arrowheads. I am new at this and always leave them there, thinking... how could they be arrowheads. Now I am wondering.... did the late period Indians find and use glass to make points? If so, I have to get back and pick these things up!

easom

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2008
Boise Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2, BH Landstar, BH Discovery 2000
Re: Fellow Idahoan and Pointseeker

Hey there, I am also from Idaho and do a lot of hunting near Boise and surrounding area. If you ever want to go out hunting together let me know. Great point by the way. Without disclosing to much what part of ID was it from? CODY

Love that point!! Congrats too on your pot!! Its my experience that most sites in E.Texas, SW Arkansas, E. Oklahoma, and N. Louisiana are gonna be "multi component" sites. Looks to me to be a San Patrice variant? I've only found a couple of crystal points, but none as nice as that!! I do think that is quartz crystal traded in from the Ouachita Mts of Arkansas!
Congrats again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread