Rare find for my location

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Finally braved the wet and cold weather and did a little digging. I found what appears to be a crystal arrowhead. Crystal or "clear rock" as most people here would call it is rather rare for this neck of the woods.

Upon close inspection, there are three lines running parallel to one another on this piece...these have some dirt and inclusions in them. There is a chance that this is a piece of really clear agatized palmwood and those lines are 'grain' in the wood. I will put a magnifying glass to it and see what I can figure out later. Anyhow it was a really nice find and a first for me. I have 'clear' points that are colored...red, topaz, and pink...mostly of agatized petrified wood, but no clear ones.

I also found about 90% of a pot about a foot away from the point. The odd thing about that is this is a mostly paleo site....very little pottery ever found there. Seems another component to this site has appeared... ;D ;D ;D

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• crystal 001.jpg
    crystal 001.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 8,468
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Hey Jonnyreb,

As close as we can figure the point is made from agatized palm wood. Colors vary here from clear to red. The point was found in a site where many San Patrice and a few Dalton points were found. Strangely enough it was very shallow...I mean only like 2 inches deep. I have another San Patrice...hope variety that is made of a similar agatized material....though not as clear. I will make a photo of it and post it. I have several points to photograph and with any luck will get them on tomorrow. I have a frame of quartz points...most bird points made of both white and clear quartz crystal...they are pretty rare hear in Louisiana.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Atlantis0077 said:
Morning,

Finally braved the wet and cold weather and did a little digging. I found what appears to be a crystal arrowhead. Crystal or "clear rock" as most people here would call it is rather rare for this neck of the woods.

Upon close inspection, there are three lines running parallel to one another on this piece...these have some dirt and inclusions in them. There is a chance that this is a piece of really clear agatized palmwood and those lines are 'grain' in the wood. I will put a magnifying glass to it and see what I can figure out later. Anyhow it was a really nice find and a first for me. I have 'clear' points that are colored...red, topaz, and pink...mostly of agatized petrified wood, but no clear ones.

I also found about 90% of a pot about a foot away from the point. The odd thing about that is this is a mostly paleo site....very little pottery ever found there. Seems another component to this site has appeared... ;D ;D ;D

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis
Super rare find I don,t care what planet you live on!!Thanks for sharing! I,m coming down with the fever!
Ohio river hunter

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Here we go, those phreaken neolithics will wind up in NA collections some day unless you ballpeen them now.

Lithics should never be held with metal, period.

Boom. :wink:

Doc Martin

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Came upon this site after doing a search for crystal arrowheads - reason is, today just found my 2nd in 6 months. This one is nearly flawless, and while I am not a pro am fairly certain it is crystal quartz. Most of the points I have found in this area are either flint (chert) or quartzite. Suspicion is these were ceremonial pieces, some of the literature I have read indicates that Cherokee placed religious emphasis on quartz crystals. Will post pics very soon.

p.s. - as for Louisiana, in the southwestern region have an aquaintance on Grand Lake that has found some nicely decorated pots, no digging.

Doc Martin

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2008
Northeast Georgia
think I got the file size issue corrected - below are 2 pics of the crystal point that I found. Location is in northeast Georgia, was a Cherokee settlement from what I have been told.

Attachments

• crystal02a.JPG
    crystal02a.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,851
  • crystal01.jpg
    crystal01.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,835

Applejack

Apr 16, 2009
Yesterday I was at my cabin on the Mulberry River in Arkansas. Some friends came over and one of them looks for arrowheads a lot, so we all started looking around right in front of the cabin in the dirt driveway and near the firepit. Within 20 minutes we have found tons of flakes and a broken arrowhead (tip was broken off). Then one of the guys found a brown arrowhead that was perfect. When you held it up the sun, you could see through it (the tip was quartz). It was beautiful.

After a while they found an old broken skeleton key. Half an hour later they found the other half. This probably went to the cabin (it's over 100 year old made of hand-hewn logs).

I didn't know that there was such a thing as quartz arrowheads, so I got on google and found this site.

Applejack in Arkansas

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
WOW !! AppleJack you sure draged up a oldie but a goodie here , thread that is ,. And yep, .. they do make 'em from quartz .

And welcome to T-net ,... Blindpig

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis
Man I just clicked in and saw your find. That is so wild. I mean I find quartz points but have never seen anything so clear. Was it in the water? Does it have any type of patina on it being so clear? I love that thing. Congratulations on a great find Atlantis.
You da man !
TnMountains

Artifact Max

Greenie
Jul 3, 2019
Oregon
Detector(s) used
The naked eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I'm trying to post a thread about this beautiful arrow head that was given to me by a friend after he found it here in central Oregon
Screenshot_20190703-042722.png

Artifact Max

Greenie
Jul 3, 2019
Oregon
Detector(s) used
The naked eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey it's me again artifact max wanted to show u all the features this one of a kind tip has to offer with it's transparent wonders .
Screenshot_20190703-043755.png Screenshot_20190703-043559.png Screenshot_20190703-043543.png Screenshot_20190703-042722.png

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool find!! Lots of character. You can tell from the photos and the inclusion it ain’t glass

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread