bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing a lot of kayaking this summer on our river after the flood, artifacts are tough this time of year, been focusing on fossils and fun, have found some pretty nice fossils though...
Anyway, I feel this Northern Water Snake deserves some attention and respect.
I'm in NE Iowa, things grow pretty big here, with the fertile soil, it all trickles down the food chain. Take a look at our whitetails sometime.
I came across this beauty last weekend, I'd say 5 or 6 feet long?? Non-poisonous, but still pretty intimidating...lol. I'm guessing she would tip the scales around 20 lbs? Just a gorgeous and rare specimen that size. Very rare for them to get that big.
I love snakes, in case you havn't noticed!!
Sounds like I'll be digging again soon.
Later, take care and happy hunting,
BCI
Flipping Trip 714-13 201.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear snake boots when I am out in the woods so I dont have to worry much. If Im in my Yak of course I dont have them on but I look real hard before I get out of it. I am allergic to so many different types of Bees and spiders it might kill me if I was stung 15 times. I know it makes it tough to breath with just 1 sting. Then in the spring I am allergic to all the blooming trees and flowers. I wear one of those pollen masks. I still love the outdoors anyway and will always go no matter what.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance, you would think this old man is just another log. Estimated at ten foot. Last years drought probably made him leave the swamp after it dried up and he followed his source of food. - Lee County Georgia.

They say we dont have Gators in this part of Ga but the last time I was in my Yak in the river I saw a wide slide on the bank where something had been laying. So I wouldnt bet on no Gators here. I dont believe a large turtle could make a side off the bank like that.

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is supposedly such a law about killing non-venomous snakes in Georgia: Snakes of Georgia Venomous snakes reptile removal of nuisance animals education rescue adopt donate rattlesnakes copperhead cottonmouth boa constrictor python snake birthday party special event - Non-Venomous Snakes

Non-Venomous Snakes

Georgia is home to over 41 different snakes.
Only 6 of these snakes are venomous.
Below are Georgia's non-venomous snakes.
The state of Georgia protects its non-venomous snakes.
It is illegal to kill, capture or harrass any of the snakes pictured below.
Permits are required to possess any of Georgia's non-venomous snakes.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
They say we dont have Gators in this part of Ga but the last time I was in my Yak in the river I saw a wide slide on the bank where something had been laying. So I wouldnt bet on no Gators here. I dont believe a large turtle could make a side off the bank like that.

I think someone told you a cock and bull story about their being no gators in your part of GA. I fished Santee Cooper lake in SC. Every other weekend for about two and a half years. Santee was loaded with gators. Even the NC coast has gators in pretty good numbers and once in a while one will be found in a farm pond here. I have heard that the ones found here are bought at Myrtle beach when small, then turned out after they reach an unmanageable size. I'm not sure. I may be wrong, but I'd bet my pay check that gators live all over the state of GA. As long as water is around for them. Is that not the case? About the snake, they never have hurt me. However, they have caused me to hurt myself.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah this river I yak in connects to Ala and I know there is Gators in that area. Even though the river is cold I believe they could adapt to it. I looked at the slide and it was fresh. If it was a Beaver there would of been some kind of hole or something and there wasnt. I havent ever seen one but that doesnt mean nothing cause I havent been looking for them. I will for now on though. I have to disagree that they wouldnt bother you I know for a fact a few times in Fl I have had them follow me when I was fishing on the bank and there is numbers of reports of people being attacked in the past also. If its big and hungry thats all it takes.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is supposedly such a law about killing non-venomous snakes in Georgia: Snakes of Georgia Venomous snakes reptile removal of nuisance animals education rescue adopt donate rattlesnakes copperhead cottonmouth boa constrictor python snake birthday party special event - Non-Venomous Snakes

Non-Venomous Snakes

Georgia is home to over 41 different snakes.
Only 6 of these snakes are venomous.
Below are Georgia's non-venomous snakes.
The state of Georgia protects its non-venomous snakes.
It is illegal to kill, capture or harrass any of the snakes pictured below.
Permits are required to possess any of Georgia's non-venomous snakes.

I would be interested in seeing what the law says about the protection of snakes and giving it a second thought since my post to Rock, there really might be a law about it. I have a friend at DNR and will ask. I still stand my ground about the cottonmouths and law or not, may the Lord himself have mercy on any of those that I come across.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I would be interested in seeing what the law says about the protection of snakes and giving it a second thought since my post to Rock, there really might be a law about it. I have a friend at DNR and will ask. I still stand my ground about the cottonmouths and law or not, may the Lord himself have mercy on any of those that I come across.

I thought down in the glades, people were being encouraged to kill pythons and boa constrictors. Maybe that's because they aren't a native snake. Personally, I see nothing wrong with cutting their tails off.... Right behind their head!

borlamm1

Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In agreement 100%....thats the main reason i go through so many walkin sticks lol

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

eppingera

Aug 29, 2012
It struck at you and you still were able to take a pic of it? Wow

Yes but only after my heart had re- started and my knees stopped shaking! I love snakes, my sisters and I always went snake hunting as kids, but I don't like being surprised like that. I admit, I shrieked like a sissy girl :)

Flatwoods88

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually if a gator is following you around while your fishing someone's been feeding it or its waiting for you to hook a fish so it can try to steal it. Either way they are associating people with food and need to be removed. Don't feed the gators, It'll eventually get them killed or they'll kill someone. I don't care what the law is on snakes, the only good snake is a dead snake.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From all the really great pictures and opinions posted on this thread it is obvious that we all encounter some hazards while looking for our next find. Rock, you always seem to start some good threads.:icon_thumright:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may and should kill almost any non indigenous specie of reptile or porcine :laughing7: Especially the pythons. It is against the law to kill the rattlers and copperheads here. But when they drop a litter of live ones in your swimming pool or the porch of your hunting cabin little choices remain. I heard they caught a gator outside of Memphis. I would love to have them here but it gets to cold. Same way with cotton mouths to cold.
Rock do you carry an epipen? It is a yellow jacket summer for sure. Be safe!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may and should kill almost any non indigenous specie of reptile or porcine :laughing7: Especially the pythons. It is against the law to kill the rattlers and copperheads here. But when they drop a litter of live ones in your swimming pool or the porch of your hunting cabin little choices remain. I heard they caught a gator outside of Memphis. I would love to have them here but it gets to cold. Same way with cotton mouths to cold.
Rock do you carry an epipen? It is a yellow jacket summer for sure. Be safe!
Next time I go to the doc I will ask for one. The other one I had is outdated. I usually carry Benadrill. So far I havent seen any bees except the bumble bees and they usually just fly around you like they dont know what you are and just checking you out. At least I hope thats the type and not hornets. They just fly so fast its hard to see the colors on them I know they are black with a different color butt either white or yellow.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a bumble bee and a carpenter bee around there but they will not bother you.Benadryl is a good idea. I am allergic to Iodine in shell fish so I always eat one or two and then eat the shell fish and go to sleep! The things we do for the things we love ! haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread