THE TOP 5 in 27 years check it out....it is fierce and terrible COOL!!!!!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
well this is a childs toy bow we found made from bone....... it broke and we glued it together
we found one about 20 years ago and it broke into several pcs and we never found all the pieces.....it was only half the size of this one but i still got the pieces
there was no camera available for an insitu.........but this is one of the top five coolest things ever to come from the great mandan site
get ready for this....sit down..my friends....it is a childs toy bow
i have wrapped some waxed linen thread on it to help illustrate its purpose as a toy......now i really think this is a good one.....once in a lifetime

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful, wonderful find! Got my vote- (several if I could!). Congrats:) Yakker

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find.

What is the size. length, of it?

Made from a rib bone of some sort?

Very cool, I'll vote banner.:icon_thumleft:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hope you guys in that Mandan village site are documenting, cataloging, and keeping everything well protected. Some day these things will need to be collected and displayed in a proper venue. No one lives forever and it would be a shame for someones nephew or whatever to toss these onto Ebay for a quick buck.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting Piece !

so when was it found ?

3 days ago

So who actually Dug it ?

it was rain washed by my john deere with the duckfoot turning the soil and we got a 10 minute gully washer and uncovered it and it was broke you can see where we glued it

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Larson1951! Steve don't you wish it could talk? Just hold it in your hands, close your eyes and just imagine!! CONGRATS!! VERDE!!

yup i wish it could talk...just think of a mandan dandy telling his precious child of very young that this is a toy for learning so you can be just like us hunters.....
.....then handing it to him and saying take good care of this......i will make you a big one soon

That is a great find.

What is the size. length, of it?

Made from a rib bone of some sort?

it is at approx 12 inches............i think it is made from split buffalo rib bone

Very cool, I'll vote banner.:icon_thumleft:

I hope you guys in that Mandan village site are documenting, cataloging, and keeping everything well protected. Some day these things will need to be collected and displayed in a proper venue. No one lives forever and it would be a shame for someones nephew or whatever to toss these onto Ebay for a quick buck.

yup you are right and we try hard to preserve theses things
just between john, russy, twiko, al, and myself i am thinking we have over 400 frmaes of framable artifacts and much other stuff we have stored in boxes

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk in Wisdom My Friend! Indeed your Visions will lead you well! CONGRATS AGAIN!! VERDE!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was rain washed by my john deere with the duckfoot turning the soil and we got a 10 minute gully washer and uncovered it and it was broke you can see where we glued it

I was there when the rain storm came in, in fact we had to leave due to the lightning. When we went back later there was water standing in a lot of spots and the tilled rows were heavily eroded. I just knew that something important would be found. Just wish I could have stayed another day.
That is an amazing find Steve, and you deserve the honor in finding that bow. It's even more amazing that you were able to find both halves amongst all the other bones that litter the ground. Way to go Steve! :thumbsup:

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my question is, where are all the other ones, , probalby 90% are gone from being made of wood, very cool, could it also be a bow drill
awesome find

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banner vote from me

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find! I am late as usual for posting seeing it is the weekend. I was wondering do you guys have a museum in your area where you might be able to put some of these great artifacts on display for all to see? I dont know the rules on that type of thing. Like if you could just loan to them or something like that. I feel they would be honored to have something like this.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
What a great find! I am late as usual for posting seeing it is the weekend. I was wondering do you guys have a museum in your area where you might be able to put some of these great artifacts on display for all to see? I dont know the rules on that type of thing. Like if you could just loan to them or something like that. I feel they would be honored to have something like this.

Things have a way of becoming missing or not being easy to get returned from museums from what I have heard.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larson1951! Sorry Steve, as usual I was talking when I should have been voting!! BANNER FIND ABSOLUTELY!! VERDE!!

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
my question is, where are all the other ones,
could it also be a bow drill
awesome find

I asked that question in post #13 but was told "evidence" points to it not being a bow
for a bow drill.

That could be but my thoughts are that a toy bow would actually shoot toy arrows. I am
aware that green bone is somewhat flexible but would it bend enough to shoot a toy arrow?

The bow for a bow drill does not need to be so flexible. As far as size is concerned
wouldn’t a smaller scale bow drill be better for the very fine work such as drilling the
tiny holes in very small bone or shell beads?

It's a great find whatever it is. 11KBP

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Steve on another fantastic piece of early Native American history. I do not even know if a museum has anything of that type of quality.

I was just reading were Lewis & Clark started their journey from the Mandan villages and returned back to them.

Simply amazing sir.Congrats on making the Banner bar.

HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
my question is, where are all the other ones, , probalby 90% are gone from being made of wood, very cool, could it also be a bow drill
awesome find

I asked that question in post #13 but was told "evidence" points to it not being a bow
for a bow drill.

That could be but my thoughts are that a toy bow would actually shoot toy arrows. I am
aware that green bone is somewhat flexible but would it bend enough to shoot a toy arrow?

The bow for a bow drill does not need to be so flexible. As far as size is concerned
wouldn’t a smaller scale bow drill be better for the very fine work such as drilling the
tiny holes in very small bone or shell beads?

It's a great find whatever it is. 11KBP

i wanna thank you for your ideas and i appreciate the input.....
.......about the bow drill idea......please know that the bow drill was not really known to the plains indians.........
..........also the use of bone for a bow was the material of choice for these mandan dandys.......they used buffalo horn and split rib for making bows which were only about 3 feet long
the toy bow is photographed laying in a 12" X 16" frame so you can see that it is about 12 inches long

Congratulations Steve on another fantastic piece of early Native American history. I do not even know if a museum has anything of that type of quality.

I was just reading were Lewis & Clark started their journey from the Mandan villages and returned back to them.

Simply amazing sir.Congrats on making the Banner bar.

HH
TnMtns

hey hey TnMts and all tnetter friends thank you for the banner votes..........

..........this one is for great friends Twitko and John

steve

larson1951

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Now that's is a real American piece of history right there, superb find and thanks for showing it :thumbsup:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread