THE TOP 5 in 27 years check it out....it is fierce and terrible COOL!!!!!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
well this is a childs toy bow we found made from bone....... it broke and we glued it together
we found one about 20 years ago and it broke into several pcs and we never found all the pieces.....it was only half the size of this one but i still got the pieces
there was no camera available for an insitu.........but this is one of the top five coolest things ever to come from the great mandan site
get ready for this....sit down..my friends....it is a childs toy bow
i have wrapped some waxed linen thread on it to help illustrate its purpose as a toy......now i really think this is a good one.....once in a lifetime

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yup i wish it could talk...just think of a mandan dandy telling his precious child of very young that this is a toy for learning so you can be just like us hunters.....
.....then handing it to him and saying take good care of this......i will make you a big one soon

One can almost envision the wide eyed smile, one of pride and joy on the child's face once he realizes what he is receiving from the father. Then again there might of been a serious side of the giving, where the boy would be putting on a serious side acting much older than he actually was when receiving the bow. Either way this find is one serious piece of found history and congratulations on your banner find. :notworthy:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: Museum piece.Truly amazing artifact.:notworthy:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that ranks right up there with the top three best...coolest...most awesome things ever posted on here!!!Thanks for sharing that Steve

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
:thumbsup:

Now that's is a real American piece of history right there, superb find and thanks for showing it :thumbsup:
SS

hey hey you are welcome

One can almost envision the wide eyed smile, one of pride and joy on the child's face once he realizes what he is receiving from the father. Then again there might of been a serious side of the giving, where the boy would be putting on a serious side acting much older than he actually was when receiving the bow. Either way this find is one serious piece of found history and congratulations on your banner find. :notworthy:

well thank you for the thoughts about a few cool ways of how it might have went down

:notworthy: Museum piece.Truly amazing artifact.:notworthy:

thank you much bird

Now that ranks right up there with the top three best...coolest...most awesome things ever posted on here!!!Thanks for sharing that Steve

hey hey kuger that is quite a compliment.....and even more notable coming from one of your experience

just curious, as a long time member............what are the other two things you say are very special to you from over the years on the tnet??

larson 1951

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
..well, well look who made banner!!!!!!!!!!!

NC Flake

Greenie
May 9, 2013
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larson, a well-deserved congratulations!
IMHO if anyone deserved finding such a thing it should be someone of your experience.

Any chance of getting a pic with something to put some scale to it?

At first thought, odd that they used bone, does bone flex as wood would? I know bone is used in composite bows,( though I don’t know if the ancients did?), do you think this could just be the bone layer of a composite bow? Would they have went through the trouble to make a composite toy like that?

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fantastic find...I suspect this is no toy...not a plaything for children...
the hopi make some bows an arrows for prayer..i believe this may be a similar item...

I suspect with the other items that Larson has posted ...he has found a sacred site...

just an opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Larson, a well-deserved congratulations!
IMHO if anyone deserved finding such a thing it should be someone of your experience.

Any chance of getting a pic with something to put some scale to it?

At first thought, odd that they used bone, does bone flex as wood would? I know bone is used in composite bows,( though I don’t know if the ancients did?), do you think this could just be the bone layer of a composite bow? Would they have went through the trouble to make a composite toy like that?

it is photographed laying inside a frame....a riker mount 12 X 16 inch size......so the 12 inch length is shown that way but i will try to post some more images when i find and post the fragments of another one we found about 20+ yrs ago

the mandans used bison horn for their full size bows which were only 3 feet long
it is what it is ....i don't think it is any 'composite' toy....imo the whole thing is right there for you my friend...... i appreciate all ideas and thoughts.....always

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
fantastic find...I suspect this is no toy...not a plaything for children...
the hopi make some bows an arrows for prayer..i believe this may be a similar item...

I suspect with the other items that Larson has posted ...he has found a sacred site...

just an opinion.

you could be right but these are the mandans from the plains of the dakotas....not the hopis
we are gonna do some looking through our boxes of older stuff.......we have some fragments of the same deal from 20+ years ago.....they are childs toys.....
....but let me say that all of your thoughts and ideas are very welcome and well taken.......this is a learning forum..........so i DO appreciate all thoughts on this............
.......as it is a terrible interesting piece in my book

thank you secretcanyon friend tnetter

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
larson1951! VERDE here!! I'm sorry to bother you, but if you decide to place the little bow in a visible facility I would appreciate a note of where I could possibly see it!! WOW!! DOC VERDE!! It truly is a family find!! Thanks for sharing it with all!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPhoto.pl?path=/award/iencurt/ct05&topImages=ct05024r.jpg&topLinks=ct05024v.jpg&m856s=$fct05024&displayProfile=1
Illustrations from Volume 5

notice the bow?

yup i see some bows which photograph are you referring to?

larson1951! VERDE here!! I'm sorry to bother you, but if you decide to place the little bow in a visible facility I would appreciate a note of where I could possibly see it!! WOW!! DOC VERDE!! It truly is a family find!! Thanks for sharing it with all!! VERDE!!

ok and thanks again mr verde! verde!!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly a Historic find Congratulations Jim

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Congrats on the banner my friend!

To add something to the conversation, I'm pretty sure your fantastic find is not a child's toy bow but a native American's "bow drill", either for starting fire or for drilling. I don't think one would ever make such a pretty artifact out of bone to give it as a present to a kid... I think old folks were practical people, not to do so. But that's my opinion, I'm no archaeologist.

bowdrilldemo.gif

Check for yourself here:

THE BOW-DRILL IN NORTH AMERICA - MARTIN - 2009 - American Anthropologist - Wiley Online Library

Either way a fantastic find...

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
the bow drill was not known to the mandan plains indians

but thanks yaxthri for your post as it could make sense

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Photograph secretcanyon!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread