Tips for new hunters?

Greenwood Charlie

Aug 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some searches and I couldn't find a thread that covers the basics for a new hunter.

I was wondering if any of you seasoned hunters have any tips for noobs? I watch the videos and see everyones great pics, but I want to know if there is any signs you look for in an area or something that can help me get my first find under my belt.
Is it a bit of a lottery game , like you just have to spend time looking? Or is about research and knowing where known archeological sites are and searching in the legal general vacinity ?

Are rivers good spots? I noticed farm fields look pretty mint ? Construction sites?

I just want to hold a nice blade or point in my hand and just stare at the bloody thing!:love9: I cant get my mind off it!:laughing7:

Thanks in advance. :)

Upvote 0

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't go to any known archaeological site, but research is the key to any good hunt. Dig every signal you get and the finds will come in time. HH

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water is key to life, and prehistoric man always lived close to a good supply. A strong spring with some level ground nearby, flat elevated fields along most any river are worth a look.

Walk the plowed fields until you start to spot flakes of flint, and then slow down, and get ready to pull a piece of history out of the ground.

Don't over look the Senior Citizens, they can be a wealth of information about where to look. My buddy stopped to ask an old farmer for permission to hunt his fields, and the old guy told him to wait a minute, he had something to show him.

The old guy came back with a bowl filled with beautiful points. My friend went nuts admiring them, and the old guy told him if he liked them so much, he can just have them. So....don't be afraid to ask, there are some nice farmers out there.

Good luck, post some pics of what you find.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated already dont go to any documented sites. You can search the net for your area so you know where not to go. Then google earth the area close to the the sites for water and fields close by them. Maybe a mile or so that way to dont end up on them. After you do that then locate the fields and see if they have been plowed. The trick from that point is tricky cause you will have to ask the owner if you can look. When you ask checkout the area and try to figure if the owner lives on the property you wish to hunt. You can knock on the door if you like but dont go dressed like a bum. But at the same time I wouldnt wear a suit either. Dont ask while they are working either. Wave at them as you drive by and see if they wave back, if they wave back your chances will be greater to get permission. If they ignore you I wouldnt even bother. After you have gained some type of trust then ask. Dont go at lunch time or dinner time. Maybe around 3 pm so they are not busy. Knock and introduce yourself and tell them what you would like to do and see if it would be ok. I let them know any rocks I find that are large I will remove to the side of the fields for them. After you get a field then I ask if they know of anyone else I can meet and gain another field to hunt. I always call before I go and when I leave so the owner has the knowledge as to who is on their property. I also make sure I dont liter, show respect at all times.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some searches and I couldn't find a thread that covers the basics for a new hunter.

I was wondering if any of you seasoned hunters have any tips for noobs? I watch the videos and see everyones great pics, but I want to know if there is any signs you look for in an area or something that can help me get my first find under my belt.
Is it a bit of a lottery game , like you just have to spend time looking? Or is about research and knowing where known archeological sites are and searching in the legal general vacinity ?

Are rivers good spots? I noticed farm fields look pretty mint ? Construction sites?

I just want to hold a nice blade or point in my hand and just stare at the bloody thing!:love9: I cant get my mind off it!:laughing7:

Thanks in advance. :)

Go to nativewayonline.com he has a very good read on where to look and how to do it with in the law for newbees.:thumbsup:HH

OP
OP
G

Greenwood Charlie

Aug 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tips everyone!:) I am going to spend sometime on those links too.

Went out today for a bit but pickings are slim. I must have competition or something. But I am going to keep at it and search new sections of the river! :) And I do know a field that HAS to have stuff if I can get permission. Gotta get the balls to go ask. Its an old farm, I wouldnt mind swinging the MD there too.
Thanks so much!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tips everyone!:) I am going to spend sometime on those links too.

Went out today for a bit but pickings are slim. I must have competition or something. But I am going to keep at it and search new sections of the river! :) And I do know a field that HAS to have stuff if I can get permission. Gotta get the balls to go ask. Its an old farm, I wouldnt mind swinging the MD there too.
Thanks so much!
You can always ask to swing the MD and then at the same time look for stone on top soil. Most farmers dont mind you doing the MDing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread