✅ SOLVED Stone tool of some kind

Opps Ifoundit

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
Tacoma WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the first Native American artifact I ever found around 35 years ago. We were tilling up a beachfront piece of ground for planting potatoes in the San Juan islands Washington State when this popped out of the ground. Talking to a ninety year old guy that lived nearby he said he remembered there was still potlatches at the site when he was a small boy. Still pretty sharp! Anyone have any idea on how that was used? It's 6" x 3 1/2"
DSCN0607.JPG DSCN0605.JPG DSCN0604.JPG DSCN0608.JPG DSCN0609.JPG DSCN0610.JPG DSCN0611.JPG DSCN0612.JPG

Upvote 0

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Opps Ifoundit!! Really Neat Find!! Looks like an old scraper!! Still has quite an Edge on it!! One of the guys will pin point for you!! CONGRATS!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Opps Ifoundit!! Really Neat Find!! Looks like an old scraper!! Still has quite an Edge on it!! One of the guys will pin point for you!! CONGRATS!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Verde is right it is tool for hide scraping and cutting. great find:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think its a scraper or knife the reason being is there is no secondary flaking on the edges. I believe it to be a broken Hoe. It shows polish on the edges not secondary flaking. Its just so thin and the material looks like slate but the only thing I can think of is a Hoe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Opps Ifoundit

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
Tacoma WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On each end of the beach from the site there is rock outcrops of rock similar to this rock that sometimes flakes off like that. They would have had plenty of material around to work with.... what ever it was for.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Interesting Opps Ifoundit!! Really Neat Piece!! Good Eye!! CONGRATS!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe thin for a hoe. Looks more like a hide scraper and worker to make it supple. Every animal has enough brain matter to tan its own hide.After coming out of a brain soak they would pull it across a surface such as that to break it down into buckskin.
Interesting find.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
You beat me to it Mac, I believe it's an 'Ulu'. Very cool. As Scepter will attest I'm a huge fan of any Western WA finds.

Welcome to the site.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You beat me to it Mac, I believe it's an 'Ulu'. Very cool. As Scepter will attest I'm a huge fan of any Western WA finds.

Welcome to the site.

i thought you were one of them Mandan folk....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread