monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how the creeks are in your area, but here you have gravel bars, clay holes. I always walk up stream so as not to muddy the water, as I go along. It's hard to spot things in moving water but you can do it. I look over rock bars twice before I walk on, I can't tell you how many things I have found on the 2nd look. I also look up the banks, I have found a many a point laying on the side of the bank put there by high water, and you never know when something may be washing out of a bank. Once I found the femur bone to a giant ground sloth, where the bank had caved into the creek, it was 20ft from the water. Where I live the water sometimes will rise in a wash by 15ft with a heavy rain, so it puts artifacts all over. Most of the creeks and wash beds are only 15ft to 25ft across with banks that can be 20 to 60ft tall, makes it tough to go around a log jam. In my area there is hardly a ridge top any where that did not have occupation on it at some time.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to your intuition. Sometimes that can lead you to a find quicker than a metal detector.

I make my buddy's mad sometimes , while hunting I'll say I can smell a point and a lot of times I find one (just Luck), but I will rub it in.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creeks change a lot and whip around in different directions over time. Find the worked flint and the rest will follow. I look for the high flat level ground where a creek or river bumps into a ridge/hill or mountain. Start there in that corner. Good luck

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I've found that wherever there are broken glass shards you might find pottery shards and some points that are light, they get stuck in sand, or after a good washing rain you might find them on top of rocks that have settled on top of the sand. Most of the shards I've found were in a bend. I've also found some stuck in the root of a tree that had settled with the root facing upstream. Not sure how deep the creek banks are where you're planning on looking but mine are 6' to 8' or more deep and from what I've found have settled on Archaic to early Woodland time period. Good luck in your creek walking!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The creek I walk rises and falls quite fast due to the rain. I check the bends as to look for water flow. If the water is hitting a bend look in the bend and I also look at the gravel bars. Most of the time the artifacts are at the front or the back of the gravel bars. If the creek is dry look in the middle where the current would of been the strongest. The current will pull it to the middle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions