IMG_3172.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
why in tarnation are yall cleaning your points?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine are usually covered in thick red clay. I can't see the detail until I clean them. I'm also still learning, so the detail helps me identify. Getting better though, we found a dry creek bed yesterday and everything had a thin layer of mud on it so everything was the same color. All I could go by was shape. Found a few nice broken pieces.

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't be fooled by whether a pt. is clean or not. Most of the time, if someone is trying to pass off a modern pt. as ancient, they will try to put a false patina on it. On the other hand, I have found ancient pts. that look freshly knapped.
That being said, the point in question looks modern to me but remember we are looking at a photo.
Hope it turns out to be an ancient point though.

True, that's when I stated #2 :)

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Not quite sure how cleaning some mud and sand off an artifact with dish soap and a tooth brush can affect the artifact or its value.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite sure how cleaning some mud and sand off an artifact with dish soap and a tooth brush can affect the artifact or its value.

never said it did,but why would you want a bright shiny ancient object?I guess its the same reason people insist on cleaning coins?To each their own

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you're saying.
But I don't think they're removing patina or the look of age.. just exterior dirt and debris.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save it and have it checked anyway. Overstreet is full of deep notched points, example: Lost Lake points.

BUT, we have a Wednesday flee market and a guy was selling India points. I stopped and asked him a few questions and he proclaimed that he made the points himself. I asked him how ne notched the points with such a thick base and he told me he use water. The guy stood there and lied to me.

In the public there is the misconception that Native Americans used water to drip on hot stone to chip it:laughing7:for anyone try this test, heat up a rock and drop water on it and it will break , not chip. I almost want to think that some natives said lets tell the dummys this and they wont know our secret.:occasion14:So anyone who tells you they chipped a point by dripping water on it is full of BS.

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the public there is the misconception that Native Americans used water to drip on hot stone to chip it:laughing7:for anyone try this test, heat up a rock and drop water on it and it will break , not chip. I almost want to think that some natives said lets tell the dummys this and they wont know our secret.:occasion14:So anyone who tells you they chipped a point by dripping water on it is full of BS.

I've had people ask me if I use the water and feather method when making my points. It's really comical, but I guess they just don't know better. Now if an artifact collector or another flint knapper tells me that, you are right ... they are full of BS !

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mabey a water jet for the notches?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use water and a toothbrush if real dirty from the red clay I will soak them a bit in Dawn dish det for a while before cleaning with the TB.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovin' the red clay, NOT!! I hate that stuff!

I also use a electric TB if it is really dirty and there is deep incisions in the stone piece. It wont hurt the artifact.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what are we judging this basis on?Nothing is screaming repro to me....I certainly hope we arent calling it fake because of the small notches and fine chipping,cause if so,somebody should have told the Indians out West about that!!

If you can't tell that is a repro from those pictures then I strongly suggest you refrain from buying any artifacts, especially from Ebay.

Also, I said nothing about the flaking or the notches, but since you brought it up, those notches are very crudely done that base has absolutely no grinding which would be typical of an actual American Indian Point of this type.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a artifact is dirty, all I do is soak it in water over night and spray it clean with a dish sprayer. Just my way8-)

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why in tarnation are yall cleaning your points?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why in tarnation are you not?? It doesn't hurt an artifact one iota to clean it with a soft toothbrush and warm water. Using some kind of chemical will hurt them and I wouldn't even use soap, but warm water and a toothbrush do absolutely no damage.

So you are telling me you would rather see an artifact look like the first two pics as opposed to the second two??

Attachments

• Feurt Site Finds (115).jpg
    Feurt Site Finds (115).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Feurt Site Finds (116).jpg
    Feurt Site Finds (116).jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Feurt Site Finds (120).jpg
    Feurt Site Finds (120).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Feurt Site Finds (119).jpg
    Feurt Site Finds (119).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 79

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean mine with water and a little scrub with a tooth brush just to get mud or algae off the stains always stay and that's how I like it lol

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in tarnation are you not?? It doesn't hurt an artifact one iota to clean it with a soft toothbrush and warm water. Using some kind of chemical will hurt them and I wouldn't even use soap, but warm water and a toothbrush do absolutely no damage.

So you are telling me you would rather see an artifact look like the first two pics as opposed to the second two??

....no reason to get defensive....I was explained to the reasoning and as I said to each their own....a couple comments said "scrub",and "soap",seems a little over zealous to me...?As for why dont I?well,I guess as I stated,I dont like shiny old things in my displays,dont dig,and hunt predominantly sandy soil,so my pieces dont look like your example...yes I would do some "washing",if I were faced with the situation as you have shown.....why do folks get so chitty on here??Something I have noticed for some time?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't tell that is a repro from those pictures then I strongly suggest you refrain from buying any artifacts, especially from Ebay.

Also, I said nothing about the flaking or the notches, but since you brought it up, those notches are very crudely done that base has absolutely no grinding which would be typical of an actual American Indian Point of this type.

....and with the attitude again...I have never and will never buy any piece and prefer to find my own,and have for well over 30 years...

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the statement "why in tarnation would you wash your artifacts" wasn't "chitty" or condescending?

I didn't mean to sound defensive. I just couldn't understand why someone would oppose to the cleaning of artifacts. Scrubbing or cleaning with any chemicals, even soap, is a big no no to me. But a mild washing with a toothbrush and warm water has never hurt any of the 17,000 pieces I own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread