fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some unusual Indian Artifacts, The buffalo scapula was drilled out & a wooden handle would be attached for a hoe, it is worn down, (almost gone),
the mussel shell, was drilled out also, also had a stick attached for a hoe.
These were used in areas where stone was not readily available.
The fossil plant (calamites) was made into a nutting stone, I wonder what the indians thought about these rocks?

Fossis.............................

Attachments

• IM000896.JPG
    IM000896.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 759
Upvote 0
P

pickaway

I bet they thought they were the shizzzznitt.Anyways nice relics, really like the nut stone.

T

TreasureTales

Very interesting, never seen anything like them. I've seen drilled shells, but little ones used for money.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks for the interesting post. You don't see as many organic artifacts- we see far more stone tools (for obvious reasons) and sometimes I wonder about all the things made from bone and shell or antler or what not that has been lost- very nice stuff there.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Cannonman17 said:
Thanks for the interesting post. You don't see as many organic artifacts- we see far more stone tools (for obvious reasons) and sometimes I wonder about all the things made from bone and shell or antler or what not that has been lost- very nice stuff there.
I hear that. Very nice finds tho. I've only found 2 bone pieces in our field... I don't know how old they are tho.

xstevenx

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, We find quite a few fossilized deer teeth, antlers, buffalo skulls, & some more recent longhorn cattle skulls.

I heard of a wagon & mules that went down in the quicksand years ago, & a old doctors bag was also found, with brass bottle holders intact.
Also fossilized turtle shell, even ancient horse teeth & mastodon teeth & bones,I found a tip of a tusk, & a friend found a tooth. Fossis.......................

T

TreasureTales

fossis said:
Thanks guys, We find quite a few fossilized deer teeth, antlers, buffalo skulls, & some more recent longhorn cattle skulls.

I heard of a wagon & mules that went down in the quicksand years ago, & a old doctors bag was also found, with brass bottle holders intact.
Also fossilized turtle shell, even ancient horse teeth & mastodon teeth & bones,I found a tip of a tusk, & a friend found a tooth. Fossis.......................

Geez, I want to go looking for fossils with you and your friend. Very interesting stuff you've been finding.

T

TreasureTales

bean man, those are some interesting artifacts. Here on the West Coast (can't speak for anywhere else), there are some marine snails that drill holes into the shells of other animals to get to their meat. It makes distinguishing between drilled holes (human) and drilled holes (marine animal) sometimes hard to do. Your shell has an unusual hole in it because the hole isn't round. Could be it was manmade and then due to the passage of time the hole changed in shape. I don't know, but I do know I sure like all this kind of stuff. Cool!!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your shell may be natural also bean, we have a lot that are eaten into by parasites in our local rivers, the hole in the bone is cool, most of our stuff is preserved in the wet sand in our rivers.

Fossis.......................

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Bean, if you find large concentrations of shells like that in a field it may be a good spot- shell middens in Wisconsin are normally associated with archaic sites.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These probably only survived in the wet sand of the rivers, most everything else decayed in the dry soils.

Fossis......................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread