Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some like that too...I should be gathering them together to see if I had found the missing pieces.

Still nice finds, Adena.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Ouch... I have all mine like that packed away, that makes me want to get them out and look at the what might have been again. :-\

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
It seems to me that the ones with the best shape or finest knapping are always the broken ones.I average about 10 broken ones for every whole point or blade.I probably find about 7-8 point ends for every tang end found.My average was a little better last week as I found 32 points and 4 of them were whole..

I have only been actively arrowhead hunting for a little over a year and have found 56 complete points and blades.

hasbeen

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I think i've found their trash pile in the field that I hunt. It seems like there is one area in the field that consistently produces a lot of broken pieces. There are other areas in the field that I always hunt first, because they produce good, whole artifacts. It's pretty cool how you can learn a field after a while and can almost tell where the trash dumps were. You can also get a general area of where the villages stood by the concentrations of points, tools, etc. You can't tell exactly, but you can get a general idea.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Adena_man said:
I think i've found their trash pile in the field that I hunt. It seems like there is one area in the field that consistently produces a lot of broken pieces. There are other areas in the field that I always hunt first, because they produce good, whole artifacts. It's pretty cool how you can learn a field after a while and can almost tell where the trash dumps were. You can also get a general area of where the villages stood by the concentrations of points, tools, etc. You can't tell exactly, but you can get a general idea.

I have a nice trash, possible reworking spot in our field. Always produces broken, reworks, and TONS of flint chips.

xstevenx

A

Atlantis0077

I feel your pain!!

Rule of thumb here is 20% good 80% not so good. Finding the perfect ones without spot nor wrinkle is rare. Seems on bird points especially that there is always a tiny knick off the tip or ear or tail. Yep always the ones with the best shape or most intricate flaking are broken. Makes you sick, but is an unfortunate occupational hazard. Just makes you that much more appreciative when you find that perfect 10.

Atlantis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread