Stone tools

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
The hafted hoe is made of limestone and is 9" X 8". Ironically, it was found in a friend's vegetable garden. The metate was found a couple of years ago on a Ft. Ancient site. It is made of a purple material. Not sure what kind of material this is. I have never seen this type of material here in Central Ky. The other pic is of an abraider. It is about 4" in diameter. It is very, very abrasive. It is gritty like sandpaper. This was found on the Ft. Ancient site as well.

I hope I'm not putting everyone to sleep with these posts. I just like posting finds and seeing other's finds.

Attachments

• Picture 094.jpg
    Picture 094.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 625
  • Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wide awake here, different color on the matate is one I had never seen.

Fossis.................

P

pickaway

Neat hoe never seen one made of limestone,I have a celt preform made of limestone puzzling why they started it out of limestone.

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
You would think that limestone would be too brittle to use. I have two celts that are made out of limestone. Maybe they used whatever they could find at the time?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
There's a lot of different grades of limestone you guys.. some of it is quite hard. And it sort of makes sense because limestone often times has chert deposits in it so if you gotta walk a ways to dig up or mine up some chert you might as well get some material suitable for ground stone tool making at the same time (providing the limestone in this particular area was hard enough anyways)

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
The hoe weighs about 3 pounds and is 9" X 8". Could you imagine using that all day? A woman or man would have to be strong in the arms!

P

pickaway

Yep I agree, I wonder how they attached it,it would have to be a good size stick it looks to have cutouts for something?I know some were used by hand anyways that is a neat find.
Copy that cannonman I figure they used what was available at the time and the hardstone im guessing took alot longer to finish the product but in return im sure it lasted alot longer.

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Here are the two limestone celts that I found a couple of years ago. They still have a pretty good edge on them.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 317

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread