OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few more pics.They are taken with my phone so the quality isn't the best.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131016_211243.png
    ForumRunner_20131016_211243.png
    378.9 KB · Views: 204
  • ForumRunner_20131016_211310.png
    ForumRunner_20131016_211310.png
    395.5 KB · Views: 179
  • ForumRunner_20131016_211339.png
    ForumRunner_20131016_211339.png
    362.8 KB · Views: 199
  • ForumRunner_20131016_211404.png
    ForumRunner_20131016_211404.png
    385.6 KB · Views: 188
  • ForumRunner_20131016_211430.png
    ForumRunner_20131016_211430.png
    392 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks unclemac.That was interesting.Right now I'm not sure if it's bone or not.It almost seems like ivory or a type of soapstone.Kinda clinky sounding when it's tapped.I sent them some pics for their positions.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gatorboy well that don't look like what I got.my buddy the knapper says he thinks it's some kind of soapstone .I ain't got a clue.But i'm looking into it.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bones to shape stones - Archaeology News from Past Horizons : Archaeology News from Past Horizons
good read...thanks
i find similar things quite frequently

lookie here.....

i think that is a well made and well preserved piece...thanks for posting

hey hey gator those look familiar

Sorry about the no replies.I had phone drama and was out of commission for awhile.Still don't know much about this point.I don't believe it's bone because I don't believe it would last.It is not pink it's about three inches long.It was found about sixteen inches deep in a site that I have been digging for five years.The site has produced a variety of points knapped and ground.It has also yielded many gouges,plummets and other stone tools used in woodworking .The site also has a lot of pottery shards .This means along with the archaic presence there was a much later occupancy.It sits twenty yards off a stream in Maine.Thanks for your time....

nice piece

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the no replies.I had phone drama and was out of commission for awhile.Still don't know much about this point.I don't believe it's bone because I don't believe it would last.It is not pink it's about three inches long.It was found about sixteen inches deep in a site that I have been digging for five years.The site has produced a variety of points knapped and ground.It has also yielded many gouges,plummets and other stone tools used in woodworking .The site also has a lot of pottery shards .This means along with the archaic presence there was a much later occupancy.It sits twenty yards off a stream in Maine.Thanks for your time....

After this is done lets see some of those other artifacts you have found. You say you found it 16 inches deep? Well here is a known fact for you as the age give or take a hundred yrs or so. For every inch of top soil add a hundred yrs and you should be rite around the age of your find if the soil hasnt been mixed in the past.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock... that's going to change alot from place to place depending on conditions..water,wind,erosion, sediment build up, soil make up and density,clay layer,the density and weight of the object, the amount of surface area presented to the soil.. ect..
I've found 300 year old Spanish artifacts 3 or more feet below the surface.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What you will need to do, if at all possible, is photograph in sunlight, maybe someone with a better camera can do it for you, so we can see the surface and texture of the material. It certainly looks like bone, but, yes, that white is unusual. I have never heard of one made from soapstone, and I can tell you it does not at all resemble soapstone from south of you in southern New England. If it is soapstone, or technically steatite, it would likely not be a piece actually intended for use as a spear or weapon simply because soapstone is the softest stone natives utilized(bowls, pipes, pendants, etc), and it would be an unsuitable tool stone. Also, as you probably know, some of the other artifacts that have emerged from your dig are diagnostic Maritime Archaic, and you can absolutely be certain this artifact was produced by Maritime Archaic people. Even the side facets on that piece mimic the same facets seen on slate points identical in form to your find. It is a super find, and I hope you can get us some nice sharp photos if possible. And yes, I did vote banner, and folks, how many banner finds do we have from the far Northeast? It is very worthy, IMHO.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that parts of the site have been altered due to an access lane put in years ago.But in most parts intact.Pottery on top artifacts deeper.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rock I have a few posts over the last few years check them out.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the banner votes Charles and hippy.I'm just not aware of what one is.I've heard my arrowhead has brought a little controversy to tnet.While i will argue it's material make up or its use.I will not argue it's authenticity.I got better s..t to do then post fake artifacts.This is why I most generally keep to myself .I have a deep passion for my hobby.That is why I like tnet people here seem to have the same passion.To all you naysayers I say well....... poop.Don't be so quick to judge.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who called not real?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
how about antler?...i have found things before that puzzled me and turned out to be antler....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Who called not real?

rock, those comments were deleted. It was premature judgement. Peace and harmony reign8-)

unclemac, bone, antler, and ivory would be the materials used for the most part where Maritime weapons of this type are concerned. The culture is best known for its ground slate weapons of identical form, but these 3 materials mentioned were also employed. As I noted, I don't think it is soapstone, aka steatite, because that would not be practical. As a ceremonial offering, I guess soapstone might be possible. I think if soapstone it would have to be for a non practical purpose is what I'm really saying.

if it were ivory, that would explain the color, not pure white, but showing an aged color.
Just not brown as one might expect from old bone. These folks were deep sea hunters par excellence. The most common source of ivory would be walrus.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mainejman, I think the photos on the bottom of your first page are the best you've taken so far. I'm not an expert on bone, antler, and ivory artifacts. I see there is some "weathering" on one side, or pitting. And I see striations in the texture. Is it very light in weight? Ivory will be very light for the size, I think(?). It does resemble bone in those better photos. Maybe bring it to state museum if you ever get a chance. There are people there who can ID the material I'm sure. If it is bone, it is amazing preservation. Unless enveloped in shell, so the lime neutralizes the acid, one would not expect such quality preservation, as you mentioned yourself. But, maybe it's ivory. I think antler would be darkened as well, but I'm just not expert enough in these perishable materials....

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Before you are done here, the guys are going to have you take this piece to a pro. Photographer. Lol! Just kidding guys, I like the pics as well. I also think had I been the finder, I'd take it for glamor shots!

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl it is very lite.There is just no reason why bone would not deteriorate.Not in this setting.I have found pieces of bone around this site and they were dry brittle and porous.I don't know if whale bone has the same characteristics as regular bone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread