• IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything is possible...say a pioneer back in the day on the East coast picked up an ancient point...then he traveled out West and lost it when he got there...a point from Virginia could end up in California...anything is possible...and the OPs two points could have been salted.

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some wickedly fine projectiles! Whoever the tribesman was that fashioned those beauties was the go-to-guy, an artist! Not sure why others question where you found them, I don't know about artifacts like these. Nice finds!
Sorry, but who ever made these pts. was no artist. These are very simple pts. that any decent modern knapper could reproduce. Not saying they are modern, just that any flint knapper could make this type all day.

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Williamsburg County , S.C.
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk is cheap lets see your finds. I havent rplied to this for the same reason. The lithic is all wrong for the area.

I am away from them as I am at work but I will try to post some of my Points when I can on this thread. I need to learn how to do it anyway..

jgooger

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I am a student at Clemson university and I am interested in collecting native American artifacts and I was wondering if anyone on this post would be willing to take me along with them a few times to look to show me how to do it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope someone who lives close to you will do that for you.
It's a great memory and an honor in my opinion to take someone truly interested on their very first hunt.

jgooger

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I hope so too I have been wanting to for a while I have tried to myself before but never found anything so I want someone to take me on my first real hunt.

jgooger

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gatorboy do you know what part of the state your friend that found all those arrowheads lives in?

Perico

May 29, 2012
I used to live in SC. I have found arrow heads when I was younger on the banks of lake Russell and Clark's Hill when the water was low while I was fishing. I'm sure lake Hartwell up by you, also part of the Savannah river chain is the same. These guys are full of knowledge and you will learn a lot on this Forum. That whole Savannah River has lots of stuff.

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I am a student at Clemson university and I am interested in collecting native American artifacts and I was wondering if anyone on this post would be willing to take me along with them a few times to look to show me how to do it.

I'll tell you how we have the best way to find them. We have logging companies that log the woods, then Westvaco will hire someone to plow up the clear cuts, with a huge bulldozer. We usually like it to rain on the rows for awhile as that will wash the dirt off. We then look for rows that is near swamps,Carolina Bay etc. The real best places are rows where the ground is flat and we will look for a small ridge of sand. They liked the sand as opposed to the gumbo clay that is endemic here.....Being in Clemson I know you would not have flatland, nor be as likely to have clearcuts. But if you evercome down to the lowcountry that is an easy way to find them.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the one point does resemble a very nice pelican lake from the northern plains, and while the material looks similar to KRF, I do not believe it is. It sure is a nicely made simple piece, a Triangle with the corners lightly notched.

i agree it sure resembles a krf pelican lake but i don't think so either.....one th for sure it is very nice

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two quartz artifacts found around the Cross Keys area of Union County, SC, one is an arrowhead, the other? A fish scaler? Any Idea on age...I assume paleo-mississipean?

I am not familiar with the material that is found in your locality, but the material that the point you show is not Knife River Flint. It's material resembles agate. Also, the flaking along the cutting edge appears to be quite erratic rough looking, but maybe that's a characteristic of flaking in your area. There just doesn't appear to be a straight/clean cutting edge. (Just my thoughts).

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two quartz artifacts found around the Cross Keys area of Union County, SC, one is an arrowhead, the other? A fish scaler? Any Idea on age...I assume paleo-mississipean?

The point on the left does not match any type of India point that I have ever seen, most India points have a almost dove tail look and they make the notches much deeper, but on the other hand Heybubajay I too have dug some fakes not to long ago, so don't think someone could not have salted your spot, just because you washed of the dirt. I hope not but look at it this way you found it so keep it . Your finds just fall outside of the norm for your area and stone type that most people know about.HH

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok let me see if I got it figured out...

head.jpg

This is the one of black rock I have never seen in S.C> before.

Last edited:

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, these are an assortment of different rock...all found within a 60 mile radius of my house, and in different locations..

hjeads.jpg

Ok, also I included part of a Gorget that I found. It is the one with the hole in it. It is mad out of compressed ocean mud. I don't know the scientific name for it. But in my area they made a lot of ornaments out of it. It is brittle and prolly easy to work with.

Last edited:

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just for the heck of it I will thro0w in a PoundingStone I found. IT is made of sandstone, and the reason I like it is because the finger grooves are still in it and I can actually put my fingers where theirs was.....

pondingstone.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point on the left does not match any type of India point that I have ever seen, most India points have a almost dove tail look and they make the notches much deeper, but on the other hand Heybubajay I too have dug some fakes not to long ago, so don't think someone could not have salted your spot, just because you washed of the dirt. I hope not but look at it this way you found it so keep it . Your finds just fall outside of the norm for your area and stone type that most people know about.HH

Use the link provided earlier ..both examples are on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread