Heres a little something from Maine

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Here's a little something from Maine

First of all please excuse my photography skills. Here are a couple interesting things I've found over the last year in maine.
100_1184.jpg

The object on the left was found in a fire ring, I believe it was originally very smooth but due to fire heat damage it was left pitted and course. As to what it is I'm not sure. It's pretty large to be a plummet, but was found near a stream. I'm not ruling out the possiblity of it being a pestle. As for the other object I'm also uncertain of it's purpose. It is fairly long and smooth, but chipped on one end as if being used fairly agressively.
100_1178.jpg

This is a small gouge, it was a surface find on a small sandbar in a stream. Due to it's small size I believe it was used for building poles and housing structures, and fish wiers.
100_1175.jpg

Starting from left to right, broken gouge, Full gouge, probably designed for hollowing logs fairly rugged and a bigger end opening. What I'm calling a wedge as there is no groove on face or end. gouge mentioned previously. next a round ball with percussion marks on the ends. Flat sharpening stone with hollowed end, and grooves due to sharpening. Possibly awls or bone and antler hooks. Small grooveless plummet for fish nets.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Upvote 0

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Re: Here's a little something from Maine

Hey jbl04410! The one on the left in the first picture does look like a pestle. It has definitely been roughed up somehow. I have yet to ever find a plummet. Nice finds! Keep'em coming!

Good luck.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to Treasure Net, & nice finds,

Fossis...............................

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Welcome jbl04410! -Ben in NH

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes

VERY NICE! I always enjoy seeing finds from other parts of the country.

xstevenx

T

TreasureTales

Welcome to TreasureNet. Always great to have another artifact collector abaord. Very nice collection. But I'm very curious about what else may be in that wooden box. LOL Open that puppy up and take a photo of the contents. It's loaded with points, isn't it?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread