Fossis.................................

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Not a clue here...
What's it made of?,, looks like stone...
I hope it's not the same kinda doll Greg Brady found... ;D
Very neat, what ever it is,, Congrats!!!

A

Atlantis0077

OK...NOW I AM well and truly jealous.

The first place I ever saw an owl such as you have was Poverty Point....on the Louisiana/Mississippi border. They found quite a few effigy pieces such as yours.....some chert, some hematite and other materials. A few were made of pottery I believe. I have looked for a good picture of them and this was all I could come up with.

In the museum at the poverty point commemorative area, they have artifacts displayed in various ways. In one display they have a dead limb with various sizes of owls just as you have on it. I have a photo at home in some of my stuff if I can dig it out.

That is an excellent find...one I have always wanted to make myself. I have a few poverty point type plummets, but not an owl effigy. Hang on to that.... A treasure to be sure.

Atlantis

Attachments

• ppbirds.jpg
    ppbirds.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 877
OP
OP
bluecat

bluecat

Feb 21, 2007
Thanks for the info.
I don't plan on selling, but does anyone know the values of artifacts of this type??
I was all over the internet and never found one that was sold.

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
I would say about $300, maybe more. Depends on the buyer. I don't seek a value on my collection. I don't buy or sell and never will.
Except for maybe a new made knife blade to make a bone handled knife for myself.
~Z~

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Sorry everyone, I know this is an old post and this story is off subject, but when Bluecat posted this I recognized the avatar picture and thought he was just using it. Well, today after seeing Bluecat had posted, I went out to the garage to look in my boxes of old magazines. Anyway to make a long story short, that is Bluecat in the picture with his 6 year old daughter at the time, with his world record 112 pound bluecat. :o She was with him when he got it! Congradulations Bluecat, I know it's no longer the world record, but just to hold it for awhile is awesome.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
bluecat said:
Educate me. Found this near Huntsville, AL.
Wow Super find worthy of being in a museum! Because that is where I saw one before on exhibit in Portsmouth. Ohio last winter.No matter what you may find in future that is the one pc. that will define the bluecat collection. Happy huntin Jeff

OP
OP
bluecat

bluecat

Feb 21, 2007
My wife took the pendant to a show in Huntsville, AL and was offered a $1,000 for it a few weeks ago from several dealers. I'm still not selling, but figure that it must be worth $2-3,000 if a dealer offered $1,000.

P

pickaway

Could be worth that,shows are sometimes a good place to sell things,I had a peice that i thought was a artifact turned out it wasnt but at a show i took it to,i was offered up 500 for it,that wouldve been a good deal for a old electrical sandstone peice fron a 20's coffee pot.i would put that peice in a nice display case and admire it.amazing little artifact.Enjoy...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread