Fish out of water

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
As a transplant from Illinois to Maine my artifact hunting stalled dramatically.Coming from the rich artifact country of Henderson county,Illinois.Where I have seen a personal axe-head collection of over one-hundred strong.To a far less finder-friendly Bangor,Maine.The most obvious reasons being less inhabitants and not near the agriculture.My success has been due to using an atlas.Finding where streams and rivers connect seems to be the answer.Over the last year I have managed to find over 100 worked pieces.I have had to resort to digging which I had never done before.This is new to me.It's more work but maybe even alittle more exciting.I have not given up on surface hunting because it is in my blood.I am thrilled at my new found success.It has brought me out of my artifact hunting funk I've been in since losing my Illinois collection in a Maine house fire.The loss was hard to take.Please learn from my loss.Protect your collection.The only positive note was no injuries.Really enjoy this site.Would like to see more stuff from the northeast preferably Maine.Also would consider providing a guided artifact hunt,complete with beer and my exceptional good company to a female enthusiast.Sorry i could'nt resist you see part artifact hunter bigger part dog.

Upvote 0

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Sorry to hear about your loss Jbl. That would be a hard pill to swallow. I live in Jersey county Illinois and we have a 5 acre field that has produced 50+ axes over tha last 6-7 years. What would be the best way to go about protecting my pieces? I thought about a safety deposit, or a safe, but I have A lot of stuff. Just curious.

WELCOME TO THE T-NET FAMILY!!!

xstevenx

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

A fire was the thing I most worried about where my collection was concerned. Furniture and belongings can be replaced at least the mundane ones, but the relics, no matter how common they may be, are in the end each a one of a kind piece.

I would suggest if you have a nice collection that you are worried about to consider purchasing a safe. They come in varied sizes and prices. Be sure when you get one to have it fire rated for something on the order of 1250-1500 degrees for 45 to 90 minutes. This will insure that your relics will in most cases be protected.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of a safe...don't scrimp. Purchase a good one. Some brands to consider are Cannon, Ft Knox, Sentry, and then the general ones by Browning, Remington and others....dunno about their quality. A good one will run over 2 grand. Look for the fire rating above all, there is a BIG difference among the different brands. Probably if you are like me, you wont be able to fit all your stuff in one safe, add to it when you secret it in a safe it isn't as easy to show or admire..but for really good pieces you don't want stolen or destroyed by fire its worth the investment.

My 2 Cents....

Atlantis

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
I can relate. I have a small collection, mainly from the Susquehannock from along the Susquehanna River in PA. While it is small, I would be devastated if a fire hit my home. Like Atlantis said, everyting else can be replaced with the exceprion of people, animals and the artifacts. Someone once told me to insure the collection or get renters insurance, but screw the money! No money can replace the time and stone you lost. I hope you can gain a good collection.

There is a magazine I used to buy that may help. They also have a nice collection of pages and booklets for purchase that are specific to type. You can get all or some. One would be ..."gorgets". They are or were made for a 3 ring binder. The magazine site is at:
http://www.indian-artifacts.net/
The owners name is Gary Fogelman and the magazine is printed in PA but has many contributors.
I am thinking of buying a subscription soon.
He also writes books.

Just FYI. I am not involved with the magazine just a past reader.
~Z~

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome , & sorry for the lost collection, I know the feeling, I had ten years worth of collecting stolen in broad daylight, but you can't keep a good man down, I collected for another thirty years, HH,

Fossis..................

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Sorry to hear of the fire damage, but when it comes to fire it can always be worst. I know a nice fellow who lost his house in a fire. He made it out with his wife and pets but lost a very nice house and from what I here a very expensive bottle collection. I know I would have a hard time handling such a devastating experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread