curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I did post this with some other things, but the picture was small... think it was my first post on TN? About November 11 I think. Well...I love this little Bear, it was one of our first finds & my favorite. What do you guys think about it? Old? A friend said it's made of Jet, and have had offers to buy it but wouldn't sell it for anything. RSCN2912.JPG RSCN2933.JPG RSCN2970.JPG RSCN2951.JPG Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
That really is a cool piece! As others have requested, I'd like to see some of the stone arrowheads and tools that have come from the property as well. What is it made of?

Surely a Banner piece but would really like to know more about it. Could it be a contact piece or something from a later time that was dropped there? Are there any signs of settlement on the property aside from Native American?

Great find no matter what!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds rite Kat. Id like to see the turtle also. The bear looks like canel coal to me.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Thank you again for all the help everyone! ....I'll post the turtle pictures this evening on a new thread for you guys to see close up, later :)

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...sorry didn't answer other questions. First, what's "canal coal" Rock? Someone told me it was Jet, it does make a dark brownish/black streak on fine sand paper. RSCN2743.JPG FSCN2506.JPG DSCN1986.JPG And dlos, we have many arrowheads, shards and things from the same place.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kat to find out if the faces are obsidian or jet place them in a cold place for just a minute jet does not conduct heat or cold like obsidian will. I believe jet is a type of coal.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
regular coal is lite and canel coal is heavier I do believe in weight but easy to carve. Allot of NA used it. Kinda like soap stone

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The faces are Obsidian monsterrack, it's the bear that's in question. A friend had said it's Jet, which is some kind of wood that's undergone something or other? lol Is canal coal the same thing I wonder? Haven't found anything else yet that appears to be made of the same thing. Maybe was traded?

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so Mz Kat....are you up between acoma and zuni?

i ask, since the shards you had posted appear to be pueblo pottery...perhaps some greenware...the shards would have been dual color...or tri color...
{ oh..not the above shards...the braided and corrugated pieces}
the bear is a wonderful fetish...well done...great find...

P.S. jet, or any shiny black stone, is popular material to use in fetishs'....among the pueblo peoples.

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe somewhere's between Pippin, like you :) Thanks for liking the bear, he is cute...guess you're thinking Acoma Jet? How long have they been using it I wonder?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey kat,if you find alot of jet just natural look to see what shapes it comes in,i think the early people brought out what was already there if that makes any sense too ya

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, what you said makes sense Jamey, but haven't found any Jet in it's natural state yet. And you're very welcome Americus :) Thanks for looking!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
acoma pueblo is suspected of being occupied around 800 years...the hopi is supposed to be the oldest occupied pueblo...
above hopi land, is black mesa...coal...Peabody is still digging coal out of that mountain.
there was much trade and interaction between the pueblos...
that is in no way a natural rock...carved fetish...

fantastic find...:hello:

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the interesting info. on Acoma P. Pippin. This sweet little bear was probably a trade in some way. I think what Jamey means is that whatever natural shape a piece of Jet came in, the artist would then take advantage of that shape and create something that "flowed" with it...not that it came in a natural bear shape....correct me Jamey if I'm wrong?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the interesting info. on Acoma P. Pippin. This sweet little bear was probably a trade in some way. I think what Jamey means is that whatever natural shape a piece of Jet came in, the artist would then take advantage of that shape and create something that "flowed" with it...not that it came in a natural bear shape....correct me Jamey if I'm wrong?

Id have to agree it has been carved. It is not a natural piece. Mother nature is good but not that good. Its a great find Kat.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im a little dumb at times but no i did not mean it was natural,it is hand carved.kat sumed it up just perfect as what i was trying to say.just wanted to see if jet comes in big sized chunks to help her find out if it is in fact jet.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the bear. but I feel bad for the dude who carved it. Think how long that must have taken, especially with no steel!!
I often feel sorry for people who lived so long ago that they had nothing to do but make us things to collect now. No TV, no satelites, no dvr's.
They never had a chance to know about the kardashian's, or honey dumb dumb, or housewives of anywhere, or oprah. All they had was nature and living for entertainment. Poor schlubs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread