larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright Lars,,, I want one of those. Keep your eye's peeled for me will ya?

ok i will do that, i will go over to mandan tomorrow and see what i can come up with

here is another one of my little Takoja's hand drums............. 'rrrock the rounddance!'

IMG_0349.jpg this litte drum is very loud and has a nice tone

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
the day before yesterday i went across the river to mandan at the pawn shop on main street
i tried out about twelve or more round dance drums
there was a huge one about 18"in diameter that had a wolf painted on it..... and it had an enormous sound....but the vellum was tore.....what a bummer
....anyway after trying out twelve more i picked out the 3 with the best sound....these things are terrible fussy and half of them were 'duds'........
......out of the other half dozen these three really had the traditional sound
the painted one was made by a Lakota Sioux from Fort Yates Standing Rock Sioux res and it is named teca iopoyata kiya.......it has a high sharp piercing traditional sound with very quick response
the big one with the yellow and blue border and matching stick has a very deep huge sound......with much sustain and slower response
the other one has the classic sound you would expect to hear and is fairly recent made and will get better as it is played more.........
.........so here you go .........check them out

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really cool Steve. I checked some out over in Hardin Mt. last week, but they didn't have any designs on them. Just curious as what would be the going price for a plain one in the 14-16 inch size?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are really cool Steve. I checked some out over in Hardin Mt. last week, but they didn't have any designs on them. Just curious as what would be the going price for a plain one in the 14-16 inch size?

well these still got the price stickers on the
that size is about 120-150 bucks but they usually tell you about 100 bucks
once in a while you can get a stick..........if you are lucky......but they ask 30-40 bucks for them

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! If I remembered right they wanted about $100. for one without any design. It had a nice lower tone to it.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here is a few pow-wow drum sticks these are 23" long
the round dance drums use 14 inch sticks and are hard to find
these are a bit easier to find

IMG_0150.jpg

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
a lot of hours goes towards the making of all artifacts....must be a ton of saddle stitches and very small and time consuming!

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey hey just wanted to bump this thread back to now for those that missed it

i keep my eyes open for these hand made Round Dance Drums......they make them on the reservations here in north and south dakota

a few usually surface in the pawn shops especially after the pow wow

the thing is they don't all sound great.........i usually gotta look at about six or so before i find a good one

i find two real good ones and sent one to Quito and another to Natch

i now have four good ones and each has its own personality and sound

my best one is 'Wankiya' made by Tony Good Owl ('good bird')........man it sounds like thunder........just enormous.......i say to you Tony "wopila wopila" (wa-pa-lah") means thank you-thank you!

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I sure thank you for fixing me up Steve. I take one off the wall every now and then and give it a good work out. (i wonder what the neighbors think)

I doubt I will ever be able to sing/chant like those guys, but I am pretty sure this ol percussionist can keep the beat!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I would love to get my hands on one of those drums. I can play a trap set, and I'm not bad on bongos. I think that drum would take me a few frustrating days. Where can I find a drum like that?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a few around here and was wondering, should I be looking for one with the low bass resonance or the medium vibrating sounded one?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I see a few around here and was wondering, should I be looking for one with the low bass resonance or the medium vibrating sounded one?
Can you play one Digger? I'm going to give you some universal drum information. No matter what style of drum you have, you want it to satisfy your ear. If you are playing solo, I would want the sound in the middle. Too much resonance will carry into your next note. Too little resonance will sound like a piece of cardboard. I have never played a drum like this. My guess is the various pitches are for circles or multiple drummers playing together.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
From what I have learned, and I have 3 of them, the center of the drum is kinda flat. I think that indicates a well or evenly tightened skin. The sweet spot seems to be a couple inches from the rim. From what I have leaned from larson, they should have some thunder when you strike them.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to get my hands on one of those drums. I can play a trap set, and I'm not bad on bongos. I think that drum would take me a few frustrating days. Where can I find a drum like that?

i bought two pretty good ones last night if you want one????.....got a hard time finding the 14 inch sticks but quito knows where to get a few from the black hills in south dakota..............
.......maybe he can get you one if you wish

like quito and me say the huge thunder like sound is the favorite in our book

Can you play one Digger? I'm going to give you some universal drum information. No matter what style of drum you have, you want it to satisfy your ear. If you are playing solo, I would want the sound in the middle. Too much resonance will carry into your next note. Too little resonance will sound like a piece of cardboard. I have never played a drum like this. My guess is the various pitches are for circles or multiple drummers playing together.

well rusty i hear what you say but that is only true if you just bang away on it and don't have any style or control

now look at the video of little aaron potts letendre.......the watch his left hand (the one holding the round dance drum)........

........do you see what he is doing????........it is complex........look at his fingers touching the back of the vellum to dampen in between the double beats......
to keep them from running over the top of each other......see that???

that is what i'm talking about....his style is way more complex than most people would think............that's why i like the huge sounding ones..............

......like quito says- there are different spots to strike for a thicker or a thinner tone........and i do know that as a drummer you know what i am meaning........

just watch little aaron letendre control the huge tone and resonance of his round dance drum with his fingers damping the back side of the skin in between the double beats......

....i might send you one if you are serious......i will try to post an image of the two that i found last night

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The drums are funny, like Steve told me, they kind of come alive. After a little drumming/pounding on them, they really take on a different tone. It's almost like you have to wake it up.

Looks like I better be ordering some sticks. Sounds like they are harder to come by then the drums. How many do you need Steve? Color? I will give them a call when i know what we need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread