lakota sioux hand drum song

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
i bought two pretty good ones last night if you want one????.....got a hard time finding the 14 inch sticks but quito knows where to get a few from the black hills in south dakota.............. .......maybe he can get you one if you wish like quito and me say the huge thunder like sound is the favorite in our book well rusty i hear what you say but that is only true if you just bang away on it and don't have any style or control now look at the video of little aaron potts letendre.......the watch his left hand (the one holding the round dance drum)........ ........do you see what he is doing????........it is complex........look at his fingers touching the back of the vellum to dampen in between the double beats...... to keep them from running over the top of each other......see that??? that is what i'm talking about....his style is way more complex than most people would think............that's why i like the huge sounding ones.............. ......like quito says- there are different spots to strike for a thicker or a thinner tone........and i do know that as a drummer you know what i am meaning........ just watch little aaron letendre control the huge tone and resonance of his round dance drum with his fingers damping the back side of the skin in between the double beats...... ....i might send you one if you are serious......i will try to post an image of the two that i found last night
Larson, I'm dead serious about wanting to play one of those drums. I've played a 5 piece trap set for the majority of my life. He gets from one drum, what I get from 5. I see how he uses his fingers. It looks like he has the drum griped between his thumb and index finger while using his middle, ring and pinky fingers to creat the three stroke fill. I'm watching on a cell phone. I'm going to try to watch this on a decent size screen for a better view of his hands. Tell me if I comprehended you correct. He is using (in particular) the first stroke of the ghost note triplet to control resonance. That makes sense. Instead of killing the resonance with a solid touch, he controls it with a quick stroke of the finger. Each of the 3 finger strokes are kinda persuading the resonance of the mallet stroke. Kinda like bending guitar strings. Right? I see that he folds the drum under his arm when playing the rim. I'm also with you guys on liking a thunderous sound on large drums. Larson, I would hate for you to let you personal drums go. The trip from Dakota to Carolina would probably yield a busted drum head also. I don't see lugs on this drum. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to replace a head on it. I appreciate your kindness. Although, I still would not allow a guitarist to set my kit up, I'm happy to see a guitarist that understands drums. They aren't just a groove or beat. They are the communication holding the music together. Thanks for bumping this thread!!

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Larson, I'm dead serious about wanting to play one of those drums. I've played a 5 piece trap set for the majority of my life. He gets from one drum, what I get from 5. I see how he uses his fingers. It looks like he has the drum griped between his thumb and index finger while using his middle, ring and pinky fingers to creat the three stroke fill. I'm watching on a cell phone. I'm going to try to watch this on a decent size screen for a better view of his hands. Tell me if I comprehended you correct. He is using (in particular) the first stroke of the ghost note triplet to control resonance. That makes sense. Instead of killing the resonance with a solid touch, he controls it with a quick stroke of the finger. Each of the 3 finger strokes are kinda persuading the resonance of the mallet stroke. Kinda like bending guitar strings. Right? I see that he folds the drum under his arm when playing the rim. I'm also with you guys on liking a thunderous sound on large drums. Larson, I would hate for you to let you personal drums go. The trip from Dakota to Carolina would probably yield a busted drum head also. I don't see lugs on this drum. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to replace a head on it. I appreciate your kindness. Although, I still would not allow a guitarist to set my kit up, I'm happy to see a guitarist that understands drums. They aren't just a groove or beat. They are the communication holding the music together. Thanks for bumping this thread!!

ok rusty we will make it happen send me an address on the back channel and say hello to Barry from me....then get back to work

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
talking about this round drum thing......this kills me......
.....on another note when you watch the video listen to the drum on the right ....the one the older guy has......now that is what quito and I call a real 'dud'.....i mean a "real real DUD and a half".....
..........but this is funny......this is tito ybarra and his partner (comedians)

i know i am getting away from the artifact topic a bit but this to me is still native american.......i hope nobody minds this.......i mean no disrespect..........i lmao

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing9: !!!! :laughing9:!!!! Now that is FUNNY!

well yup it is and if you listen to the two round dance drums you can sure hear the difference between an ok sounding one and a real 'dud' which is the one the older guy is playing

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The drums are funny, like Steve told me, they kind of come alive. After a little drumming/pounding on them, they really take on a different tone. It's almost like you have to wake it up. Looks like I better be ordering some sticks. Sounds like they are harder to come by then the drums. How many do you need Steve? Color? I will give them a call when i know what we need.
That's common with all drums Quito. I know guys that stand on new bass drum heads. It seats the head on the bearing edge. I never do that. I break mine in by playing it. How are the heads mounted on these drums? Can you tune these drums?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That was wonderful! I immediately replayed it :)

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
That was wonderful! I immediately replayed it :)

hey hey thanks

i keep watching it quite a few times every day .......now it does have a 'part two video' and i say it cuz the sidekick shorter partner of his act is playing a bigger round dance drum which does sound 'HUGE'............

i just can't post it as i feel i have already been on the edge of what should be posted here............and as a moderator i am thinking i maybe should not have posted the first one.........

but let me say this.........i am only doing it to show the great diff between these things.......and there is quite a wide spectrum between the different types of these round dance drums......these are almost all made on the reservations of my area..............................now these instruments are not points or blades...........

.......................but in a way the older drums sure have something to do with what we are studying and learning from this great forum of the tnet

steve

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, his name is Aaron Letendre - searched for it on Youtube, but I don't see a "Part Two video" yet. I see Aaron is featured on several videos there.

My great great grandmother was full Cherokee. My mother pursued that and used to go to pow wows quite a bit. But she's 88 now, though she still keeps track of events. I sent Aaron's video to her, know she'll like it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, his name is Aaron Letendre - searched for it on Youtube, but I don't see a "Part Two video" yet. I see Aaron is featured on several videos there.

My great great grandmother was full Cherokee. My mother pursued that and used to go to pow wows quite a bit. But she's 88 now, though she still keeps track of events. I sent Aaron's video to her, know she'll like it.

ok hey hey deepseekerADS

sorry i meant part two video of tito ybarras "singing lessons" rather than the aaron letendre thing

i was not not going to post it but since you mentioned it i will
tito ybarra and his partner 'goldtooth' are Dakota Sioux Nation from Red Lake Minnesota......they travel in the dakotas often

"the part two" shows the desirable kind of round dance drum.....this is the kind i try to find......just listen to the deep thunder like sound

i mean no disrespect here and don't know if i might should be posting this but it is to show the enormous sound that a big 14 or 16 inch round dance drum can produce if it is built well

and providing the vellum is nice and dry and stretched tight

anyway take a listen to a good sounding one......my favorite 'wankiya' drum has this same kind of tone

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here are a few that i just got

one is from pine ridge res in SD

each one has its own voice all good but all different

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Steve, check out this guy, he's certainly got the moves...

hey hey buckleberry.....that is way way cool......thank you for posting it

he is very talented and fiercely cool

i am glad to see your interest

steve

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Steve, check out this guy, he's certainly got the moves...

just watched it again.....cool! he is doing two dances mixed into one dance......
............makes a modern "free style dance" mix with the traditional "chicken dance".........when he bends his knees and goes low to ground....that is the 'chicken dance'.....
............which is imitating a badlands prairie chicken....................and the rap mixes in a touch of 'free style'

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
found these in mandan pawn shop yesterday