rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I threw this together for the property owner and dated most of the pottery then researched it for the period. Most is from the middle woodland and then printed a page for information for them to read how the pottery was made. It can go on the wall or any place they choose to put it. Half is from where they let me hunt at. Its their Christmas present for this yr. Hope they find it interesting, rock
I forgot to say I am in GA the northern part. This type of pottery is found in GA,TN,Ala and FL.

Attachments

• 100_4657.JPG
    100_4657.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_4658.JPG
    100_4658.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a good man.
Nice job.
I'd say that check stamped "paddle marked" pieces are a bit newer.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was speaking from my knowledge of Florida forgetting about the fact that pottery goes way back in your state... After looking into it quickly I believe that check stamp pottery does go back into the woodland period in your area.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does. There are some Mississippian pieces in the mix. There is one sherd with a eye design on it from the M period. It was just to cool not to put it in.
Thanks for the help on the dating of the pieces GB.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was speaking from my knowledge of Florida forgetting about the fact that pottery goes way back in your state... After looking into it quickly I believe that check stamp pottery does go back into the woodland period in your area.

I put a piece which is my only piece of a corn cob print in the frame also. The checked stamped is a local find from the creek of the property owner. Those date 2900-1500 BP, now where is all the good flint pieces hiding?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You live in the cradle of pottery. Nice frame and am sure they will be much appreciated. You are a good man Rock!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Good job Rock. You have to take care of the landowners. I bow hunt a 90 acre piece and the owners requests a 12 pack of Bud light so I drop off a case.

One thing that I do where ever I park whether it be public or private land is that I police the area of trash and take it with me.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice rock.It lets them take pride in knowing they have special land.Also quite a conversation piece for guests...

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave it to him today. I gave them one about 6 months ago with stone artifacts but have lost the pic of it now. He said they hung the other one up above their fireplace in the main room. He said he was going to put this one next to it. He then told me he liked all of the NA artifacts but has always been to busy with the fields that he never had the time to look for them. He gave me a big smile and said thank you. That was the best gift anyone could give me.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Property owners deserve a guy like you quite the gentleman rock ... Good form !!!!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I must say you are a good man Rock. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. If you spark an interest in the land owner, you may create competition for yourself. Lol!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No he is very ill and cant do much anymore. I have offered to take him many times to look with me but the illness is getting worse now.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) What thoughtful gift that is rock...you are so nice to have done that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread