A shard and a point today

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these this a.m. 100_7503.JPG 100_7504.JPG 100_7505.JPG

The pic of my hand is for size reference but what type of point is it? Now I'm headed back out and hoping for more!

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice one NCP!

That form indicates knife use at this stage to me since there is no point.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think it was a point at one time and then recycled?

With the stack showing on the side of it I would guess they just decided to go with the knife instead of a point. Its still a nice piece, that quartzite was hard to work.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was finding some nice ones then.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find ! Wow that thing is huge.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of my favorite finds. The creek was cold and the water running pretty fast when I found it hafted end up stuck between some rocks, I was so excited and afraid the current would take it away before I could rescue it. The archeaologist said he thinks it was a knife to begin with and not a reworked point. Thanks for checking it out again.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of my favorite finds. The creek was cold and the water running pretty fast when I found it hafted end up stuck between some rocks, I was so excited and afraid the current would take it away before I could rescue it. The archeaologist said he thinks it was a knife to begin with and not a reworked point. Thanks for checking it out again.

That was a good one. Always reach for them down current then grab them facing the current upstream. I learned that trick the hard way and lost one.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how many points have you pulled from your backyard peaches total and the ages of them? Just trying to get a feel for your area.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how many points have you pulled from your backyard peaches total and the ages of them? Just trying to get a feel for your area.

Not a lot, mostly pottery but the Palmer in my avatar is the oldest. There's several Archaic time period ones, Guilfords and Savannah Rivers and then some Mississippian time period ones. My site has had a lot of activity for thousands of years. I've only found stuff in the creek.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember where the houses are today its most likely the same places the camp sites would of been in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread