A shard and a point today

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these this a.m. 100_7503.JPG 100_7504.JPG 100_7505.JPG

The pic of my hand is for size reference but what type of point is it? Now I'm headed back out and hoping for more!

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice Peaches, makes my little obsidian points look like babies :)

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!- You have a Savannah River point

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super point what is the material it is pretty!!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go along with SCrocks on the style but I think it is a knife blade. A lot of points where knife blades and not points for throwing sticks. Very nice finds Peaches:notworthy:

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super point what is the material it is pretty!!

I think it's quartzite. I wish I had my phone with me when I found it. It was in the creek under water stuck between some rocks in a rock bed and a lot whiter looking. The base end was sticking out and I wasn't sure what it was so thought I would take it out and see. When I was pulling it loose I knew it was something and I was saying to myself please let it be not broken. This is an area I walk thru a lot to get to a sandbar where I find shards. Creek spirit was very good to me this day!

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go along with SCrocks on the style but I think it is a knife blade. A lot of points where knife blades and not points for throwing sticks. Very nice finds Peaches:notworthy:

Thank you monsterrack. I'm thinking you are right and I was figuring some sort of tool and knife makes perfect sense.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a very nice one. It is quartzite and looks very clean. Did you have to wash it or is that the color when found? If it was clean it wasnt in the creek for very long at all.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find congratulations.
It makes a lot of sense that the stone artifacts will gather with the other stones while the lighter pottery shards will gather with the lighter sand.
I bet if you can repeat the process where there are areas with the same conditions up and down that stretch you will find more

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find congratulations.
It makes a lot of sense that the stone artifacts will gather with the other stones while the lighter pottery shards will gather with the lighter sand.
I bet if you can repeat the process where there are areas with the same conditions up and down that stretch you will find more
Hoping so, after I found the Guilford point a few months ago I've been trying to be mindful of this area, it was just a few feet downstream from this new one. We've been getting some pretty good rains lately and really re-arranging the creek. Going back to that area first thing tomorrow! ;-)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have to say it was fresh fall from the bank. That type of lithic stains really fast in the creek. In a yr or so it would of turned brown to black. Look at the banks to see if there is any color change in the soil.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice quartz point you found Peaches.......congrats!!!.........................Chris(GTP)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread