51.2 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I guess it does seem a bit big for an arrowhead. And it was obviously bigger at one time.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a Knife form anyway so it's a good size for that.

I have this one from southern Ohio that is similar to yours and I'm sure it was utilized as a Knife.

Attachments

• Pics-369.jpg
    Pics-369.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 69

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a Jack Reef Wells ? I have a couple pents but they are small.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Fox Creek Lanceolate will look like that in its' resharpened form, and it does look resharpened. BTW, a Jack's Reef Pentagonal has been interpreted as a stage in the creation of a Jack's Reef Corner Notch. Not in every instance, but in general they only need to be notched to create the corner notched form. Steve's example from Ohio is one of the typical forms for Jack's Reef Pentagonal.

http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/projectilepoints/types/jacks_reef_pentagonal.html

http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/projectilepoints/types/jacks_reef_pentagonal-plate.html

Here's a resharpened Fox Creek Lanceolate, in this case resharpened to exhaustion. Material(quartzite) eliminated JR Pentagonal in this case. The preferred material here was jasper from Pa or RI, and hornfels, a metavolcanic that flakes well. Never quartzite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the Northeastern states, the Jack's Reef points are usually interpreted as the first true arrowheads, meaning small enough for use with bow and arrow technology. It's a truism, meaning it won't always be the case, but very often is, that large points were usually used as knives rather then projectiles. Just a rule of thumb for some, and usage wear can confirm or dispute it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread