158.3 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like a very nice raised groove axe, and a nice St. Charles piece, (dovetail) that early archaic.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, Welcome to TNET! :hello:

Your first item looks like a very nice hammer/axe, and your second item looks like a Dove Tail point. Super nice finds there! :icon_thumleft:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Quito was right on the money with the raised ridge call. Only thing that I can add to what he said is its a 1/2 grooved axe. I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong. The groove doesn't go around the whole axe, right? That is a remarkable find. I can not say that I've ever seen a 1/2 grooved raised ridge before. I'm glad you sought information on these pieces before someone tried to talk you out of them. Unless you are in a financial crunch, don't sell these!! They don't make these "real ones" any longer! Lol! Welcome to t-net!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Quito was right on the money with the raised ridge call. Only thing that I can add to what he said is its a 1/2 grooved axe. I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong. The groove doesn't go around the whole axe, right? That is a remarkable find. I can not say that I've ever seen a 1/2 grooved raised ridge before. I'm glad you sought information on these pieces before someone tried to talk you out of them. Unless you are in a financial crunch, don't sell these!! They don't make these "real ones" any longer! Lol! Welcome to t-net!
At second glance, the axe may be a 3/4 grooved. Can you give us a show of the other side, please?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both pieces are outstanding. The dovetail is most likely Flintridge flint and has some rind still on it. It looks like one ear is a little chipped but a still a super piece. The axe is classic. Ohio stuff is great, thanks for showing it to us.

OP
OP
F

fthunt

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Richmond, VA
Primary Interest:
Other
I know little or nothing about this. When would these have been made? What group of people were in that part of Ohio at that time?

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Tim

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I know little or nothing about this. When would these have been made? What group of people were in that part of Ohio at that time? Thank you for your prompt replies. Tim
The axe is mid archaic. That is around 6,000 years old. I wish I could help you with the point but it's not from NC. so my input would be invalid.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super sweet finds welcome to Tnet and early archaic for sure NOTWORTY !!!!!!?

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your looking IMHO around 6000 bc but grim will probably know a closer time as he hunts a lot in Ohio area

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
There is a front view and a back view of the axe in my post
My bad! It looked like you had rotated the piece 180 degrees rather than flipped it for the second pic. Some readings list these as 6,000BP others list them 6,000BC. BP is before present and BC, of course, before Christ. Archeologist seem to have trouble deciding which initials to use and it causes complication in determining how old artifacts are. I have read that BP is inaccurate. It's a long drawn out argument but in a nut shell BP makes 1959 the start of time. Nice piece!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey hey welcome to the tnet
nice 3/4 raised ridge axe in very nice condition and a nice Dovee (st charles/plevna?)
3/4 means the ridge is on the top and sides of the pieces (3 sides)

archaic 6000 or more years old

OP
OP
F

fthunt

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Richmond, VA
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the help. These have been in a box since dad died 15 years ago and I had no idea they were anything special. Are they nice enough that a museum in Ohio might want them as a donation?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally, I would never donate anything to a museum as they have boxes of the stuff that is never displayed. The big museum in Columbus has an outstanding collection displayed and yet only about 1/10 of what they have can be shown. Things dissapear in museums as well. If it was my fathers I would put it in a case with the history printed and keep it. JMHO.

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
Very, very nice pieces and to think they have been in a box for 15 years. A 7" 3/4-groove axe and a 5" dovetail would be a center piece of any collection, they just don't get much better than that. Don't let those go to a museum unless they are willing to pay up, some of the biggest thieves are found in a museum and your pieces would probably find their way out the back door. The museum in Columbus is a good example of how unethical these places can be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions