redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Some northern Maryland artifacts from my Grandfather's farm

Here are some photos of a couple of frames of finds from my Grandfather's (mothers side) farm, which is in the Dublin /Darlington area of Harford County, Maryland. 95% of them my Grandfather found after he retired in about 1970, he never bothered to look for them or save them prior to that. My Mom says that she and her sisters used to find them on occasion when having to pick tomatoes back in the 1930's and 40's, and would either toss them back down, or throw them at each other. lol
The large red/grey quartzite triangle is the first arrowhead I ever found while actually looking for artifacts. I was probably about 12 years old in the early 1970's and we were at my Grandfathers for a family get together. It must have been for Fathers Day, or the Fourth of July because the corn was thigh high. We were all just hanging around waiting on dinner to be ready and my Dad asked me if I wanted to walk out in the field with him and look for arrowheads. I didn't know what I was doing so I kept picking up small pieces of quartz and taking it over to him and asking if they were arrowheads. After doing that for about a dozen times he sort of snapped at me, and said every piece of rock is not an arrowhead, you had to look at them and see where they had been chipped and shaped by the Indians. I remember sort of pouting off down the corn row, and soon found this large quartzite triangle. I knew it WAS finally an arrowhead, and didn't show it to him until we got out of the field and were called to dinner. He did not find any that day, and all my aunts and uncles oohed and aaahhhed at my arrowhead find. Some finds you can never forget. T1.JPG T5.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site redbeardrelics. Glad to have you on board.

Nice looking trays of artifacts. It's good to hear you kept your grandfathers finds and display them proudly.

Leaken

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this an old thread but does anyone still hunt those fields?
Any idea of an address?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
A Monument Collection.
It cannot get any better.
I feel like whenever I’ve found an artifact. I somehow get a connection to whomever dropped or broke it to begin with.
It can be like a bolt of lightning to my spirit.
With that connection to the finder, you really have a frame full of Shooting Stars...

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
A Monument Collection.
It cannot get any better.
I feel like whenever I’ve found an artifact. I somehow get a connection to whomever dropped or broke it to begin with.
It can be like a bolt of lightning to my spirit.
With that connection to the finder, you really have a frame full of Shooting Stars...

I agree completely with this statement. I feel a connection also whenever I am fortunate enough to find a piece. I have spent countless hours pondering who/what happened to person who had each and every piece / item I have discovered. Part of the fascination for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread