Some more Maryland arrowheads I found as a teenager

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are some photos of two frames of artifacts I found in the late 1970's, while growing up in southern Harford County, Maryland. Most of these came from several sites on the hills overlooking Bynum's Run, which flows into the Bush River, and eventually the Chesapeake Bay. As you can see white quartz is the dominant lithic, and finding something that was not quartz was quite a treat.
Several of these points turned up when I was not looking for them. The first point I ever found was the white quartz bifurcate, which was setting on top a mound of dirt from an overturned tree in the woods. I sat down there to get a good shot at a squirrel, and nearly sat on it. The brown quartzite, tip missing, Bare Island point I am holding, popped up out of the dirt when I was digging too deeply in an 1890's era bottle dump in the middle of the woods. The little red Palmer point I am holding was pushed up by the root of an ancient oak tree that I stood behind to take a leak. it pays to look down while you leak lol. The large chert stemmed point I am holding was also a fortunate find. The neighborhood boys and I would spend most of our summer nights camping out in the woods and along the creeks when we could. We had one camping spot that was close to a natural spring, and at night we would sneak into one of the local farm ponds to fish, and cook the bass and yellow perch over our camp fires. For some reason we decided to dig a small holding pond for our fresh caught fish, right where the spring flowed forth from the ground. It was a lousy idea, as the spring water was far colder than the pond water, and every healthy fish we put in there at night was dead by the morning. Anyway, while my buddies were shoveling mud and rocks from the spring onto our little one foot high dam, I was patting down the mud to make a water tight dam. They had no idea what to think of me as I started shouting "It's mine. it's mine. it's mine, I found it. it's mine", and showed them this long arrowhead that had surfaced from that spot. That spot is probably still there, and really should be investigated again!

Harford Co. quartz 1.JPG Harford County non quartz 1.JPG Gold quartzite.JPG Red Palmer 1.JPG Pond spear 1.JPG Quartz favorites.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection. Id have to say they just arent laying around like they use to be thats for sure.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff! Love the quartz pieces in your last photo. As good as it gets in that material. Love seeing Eastern stuff too. Thanks for the share, nice collection.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection! Pays to always be looking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting story.. The first few artifacts found here on our property where found the same way, root ball from downed tree, pushed up with roots from young pine trees. Even found one taking a leak behind my shop. Nice to see some local pieces. Thanks for the view, and welcome to t-net.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice stuff you have there! They all look mighty familiar, as I tend to find mostly quartz, a good amount of the grey material, along w/ the various colorful cherts. And believe it or not, they're still laying around. I've only been looking for 10 years, and have found a substantial number. Thanks for the show! Yak

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff and great story thanks for sharing ;)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection!It's funny,I would lose my head if it wasn't attached,but I could tell you how, when and where I found some finds in the past.Good story,its good you hung on to them for all these years.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool

I was on Bynum's run and also the Little Gunpowder today.

Small world

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@redbeardrelics hunt around where Bynum run meets the Bush where are access points or do you just wade Bynum or James run?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions