Knapping?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Anyone interested in knapping? I visited a place in sw MO last wk that sell all the knapping tools/books/materials and everything else.It's located right on a creek and they get together to do this knapping.A couple of them have been recognized world wide and they have written books.They make bows and arrows and atlatls.Anyway,I'll post the site here,I'll probably go back down for thier next get together.They find points right their in that creek(site of an old mill).

http://www.missouritrading.com/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
The only 'knapping' I do is usually between 2-4pm and it's spelled without a 'k'.However,when I saw all the flint(chert?) and all the tools and the displays,it did jar my interest.While I was there I was more interested in the creek where the remains of the old mill was and watched a guy make two cast and catch two LM bass.I did buy some knives and I may go to thier 'knapping'outing on the 25th w/potluck.Diana owns the mailorder business and travels a lot to shows around the country.I also watched them with the atlatl.It's a stick about 14"w/hook.They use a arrow about 4ft long and sling it.They said that's how the guys before the indians that we know used to bring down mastedons.One bow she made is covered with a rattlesnake skin.All very unique to me and interesting.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Well- if you decided to try your hand at knapping try starting with some glass pieces like from old bottle bottoms, it's free to try that way. And before you invest in any special tools just get a piece of old deer antler, it's one of the best pressure flaking tools there is and one can usually find one for nothing also.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat website, Warsaw! Thanks for sharing with us. I like your style of "knapping". ;D

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread