Snow day in the creek-big pot shard and mystery object

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday we had 10" of snow but we decided to look at the creek Creek in snow 2-2014.jpg turns out it was a very good idea because I found this shard and a mystery object WP_20140214_002.jpg WP_20140214_003.jpg

This is the back side of them WP_20140214_003.jpg WP_20140214_010.jpg

More views of the mystery object WP_20140214_005.jpg WP_20140214_006.jpg WP_20140214_007.jpg

This thing doesn't look like rock and it has designs on it like the pottery shards. Any ideas on what it is?

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any designs.. It looks like a creek Stained coble of quartzite or hard sandstone to me.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any designs.. It looks like a creek Stained coble of quartzite or hard sandstone to me.
They are hard to see in the pics but it's not quartzite or sandstone. I will probably have to let the archeologist see it. Thank you for looking though, and I know it's hard to tell some things from pics.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the one as being a worn piece of pottery but the other I don't think is anything either. There are some pitted hammer stones that look similar but I don't think that is one.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get in that creek? You did well on the pottery pieces. That water source has flowed for a long time. I wonder if you have gold there .
It might be a little pecking stone like this one. I think they used them for quick chores and chunked them. Sometimes they get wear from tumbling also. Not sure what it is..

photo.JPG

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try and get better pics of it tomorrow after it dries out more...I might be seeing some fossils because one design looks like a flower. Guess you would have to see it in person.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get in that creek? You did well on the pottery pieces. That water source has flowed for a long time. I wonder if you have gold there .
It might be a little pecking stone like this one. I think they used them for quick chores and chunked them. Sometimes they get wear from tumbling also. Not sure what it is..

View attachment 945579

This is a creek that borders the back of my property and it might have gold in it but I don't know. I do know that I have found 80 shards in it and several points/knives and some things that have been worked but even the archaeologist don't know what they were used for. lol This new object is drying out and the drier it gets the more I see. The shards I've found that weren't fabric impressed have X like designs on them and also the "flower like" design but are so faded you have to have good light to see them. I'm beginning to think the X and flower might be the maker's mark. When this was wet I saw X's on the flat side like they were scratched on it but where the X is it is darker deeper into it. Thinking I'll be looking at it more in the sun in the morning.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has to be a big site or shelter with all the pottery you find. Pottery and private property with permission screams shovels and sifters to me.:hello:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Two of the last views of the rock has the look of a mano. Is the rock flat and smooth on one side?

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It look like a hammerstone to me. One side looks like it was used more heavily than the other side but still used all along the edges. It looks like there is no wear in the middle just the edges. I'd keep it for sure.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....wow...congrats on finding those :icon_thumright: Your creek is pretty....:) Thanks for sharing it all with us! Forgot to ask, can you see the designs better now? When I was looking at your pictures up close, thought I could maybe see something there....nice!

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock we are talking about, looks to have done some pecking, but not much hard hammering. Nice find:thumbsup:I'm like TnMnts (You got in that creek) you are hard core.:laughing7:

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....wow...congrats on finding those :icon_thumright: Your creek is pretty....:) Thanks for sharing it all with us! Forgot to ask, can you see the designs better now? When I was looking at your pictures up close, thought I could maybe see something there....nice!

On the rounded side the X's are connecting to form diamond shapes and I see circular shapes but they aren't just lines and it's hard to describe, it's like a thin cord type line. I wish they weren't so faded and I've seen these shapes and circles on some of the pottery and is why I'm leaning more toward this being not rock but something that was soft at one time. Now I'm back to my searches on it lol I wish I knew someone who was an expert in Catawba Indian symbols. It's a bit frustrating lol

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the engravings are deep enough to try some "rubbing" with a pencil & paper? And when you wet the stone/thing, does it have a smell like a regular rock or like something else? Hope you can get it figured out...I don't know a thing about the Catawba, will have to read something on them.....Good Luck Peaches! :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try and get better pics of it tomorrow after it dries out more...I might be seeing some fossils because one design looks like a flower. Guess you would have to see it in person.
I see in all 3 pics (w/my screen darkened/tipped back) it does seem to have a little stem too. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions