monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my creek that I found so much stuff a few weekend ago. Instead of hunting the holes in the creek that I found, I decided to go on up stream as far as I could go(I was trying to beat a rain storm). I found some pottery and chips 2-23-14 008.JPG 2-23-14 009.JPG A spoke shave 2-23-14 011.JPG A crude celt that I think was in the making 2-23-14 013.JPG 2-23-14 014.JPG 2-23-14 015.JPG I was about ready to stop, I thought it was going to be a almost shut out and then I spotted this 2-23-14 003.JPG I thought it was a piece of pottery with a hole at first, but when I picked it up, it was to heavy for pottery and then I saw it was a pendant 2-23-14 004.JPG I was wet and muddy up to my waist but when I turned it over, I may have wet on myself 2-23-14 005.JPG 2-23-14 006.JPG I sat down in the water and mud for over 30 min. just looking at it. I have seen photos and read of things like this but never did I dream I would find a item like this.

Upvote 0

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
I gotta tell you, I'd be very tempted to wear that bad boy around my neck.

Congrats. HH dreams are made of relics just like that one

U Da Man

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't add anything to what's been said by everyone else. Congrats, the incised lines are intriguing to say the least.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, congratulations. You have a good eye to see that in the mud. Guess when I get out I need to train my eyes to see better.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed it to a friend of mine that is a archy and he went to his knees for real, I thought he was going to cry. We went over the pottery that I have been finding and it covers such a large time range he said we would never know what time line to put to it by the pottery style. He said the state had found one that was close to that style and he would get me more info. He said he does not believe that is words on it,(there is not a know written language for native's of this area) he thinks it's a image of something, he took a bunch of photos and said let him study it and show them to some others and then he would give me his best guess. This photo shows why we have so much stuff in this creek, in this area the occupation level is a black dirt, where ever you find black dirt then they lived there for a long time. Due to erosion this gets washed into the creek. 2-23-14 001.JPG 2-23-14 002.JPG The 1st photo is at the waters edge. Here is a better look at it after it has dried and been cleaned up a little and I do mean a little. 2-23-14 020.JPG And the first thing he asked was where did I find it and don't lie to him,(I think he thought I was digging somewhere) so I told him. I found it in a creek. That's no lie and there is only 1 million of them in the 4 county area. :laughing7:

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
Sure doesn't look like an image to me. I might not have a degree but I have researched a lot of cuneiform, hieroglyphs etc... and it sure resembles a form of writing to me

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....in looking at it...just for fun...what it could be maybe... a symbol of a person with shoulders, arms, body, hip & legs with ground beneath and sky above (yah, where's the head?)...or... a map or location maybe? It almost seems to "balanced" to be writing, but I'm probably way wrong....lol ....but was fun to think what it could mean, so thanks for finding it & sharing with us monsterrack...:notworthy:

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure doesn't look like an image to me. I might not have a degree but I have researched a lot of cuneiform, hieroglyphs etc... and it sure resembles a form of writing to me

Red Earth you would know better than me I just did make it thur college and English I hated, we will see what the so called experts say and I never take their word has final on anything, even tho they are some fart smellers, I mean smart fellows (sorry):laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! Outstanding. You got my vote.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, and congratulations on the banner. That's a find of a life time.:occasion14:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a good eye to spot that, and then a pic in situ.....awesome !!

I wonder if the hash marks could be a record of age? I count 29......is the back plain?

Congrats, got my banner vote.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, so cool. I must know, what would the die-hard collector pay for such a piece to showcase in his/her collection? 2-3K? Nice to see more Native American stuff on the banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread