monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my creek that I found so much stuff a few weekend ago. Instead of hunting the holes in the creek that I found, I decided to go on up stream as far as I could go(I was trying to beat a rain storm). I found some pottery and chips 2-23-14 008.JPG 2-23-14 009.JPG A spoke shave 2-23-14 011.JPG A crude celt that I think was in the making 2-23-14 013.JPG 2-23-14 014.JPG 2-23-14 015.JPG I was about ready to stop, I thought it was going to be a almost shut out and then I spotted this 2-23-14 003.JPG I thought it was a piece of pottery with a hole at first, but when I picked it up, it was to heavy for pottery and then I saw it was a pendant 2-23-14 004.JPG I was wet and muddy up to my waist but when I turned it over, I may have wet on myself 2-23-14 005.JPG 2-23-14 006.JPG I sat down in the water and mud for over 30 min. just looking at it. I have seen photos and read of things like this but never did I dream I would find a item like this.

Upvote 0

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the banner find.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN!!
What a Beautiful piece
And as for (Worth)= "Priceless" IMO
Hope you trust your Arcie, Friend.

Id keep it put up for awhile ,In case the GOVT comes for it.

If it could talk , id bet it has a Forrest Gump type story to tell.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTSTANDING and AWESOME find! Congratulations on finding this beautiful BANNER find! Way to go! :thumbsup: :)
Breezie

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find. "It belongs in a museum!" Watch out for guys with fedoras and whips. CONGRATS!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is way cool! Congrats on a great find. For some reason, it reminds of a stone that was found by a fellow relic hunter back in 2005.

To me, there is clearly a difference between your friend's find and the O.P.'s find! Although your friend's find is apparently of some significance, it clearly shows the use of Petroglyphs. However, the O.P.'s find is clearly a Tally Marked engraved Pendant with high significance and I believe shows the use of Heiroglyphics vs Petroglyphs. In fact, the inner markings on the O.P's piece somewhat resemble early Hebrew Heiroglyphics and seem to be conveying a message by a written type of communication (language) vs telling a story via the use of Petroglyphs. While I could never be confused with a Expert on Petroglyphs, Heiroglyphics or Ancient or even later written languages, IMHO the two pieces are completely different in the message that they convey and how it was conveyed!

Frank

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
To me, there is clearly a difference between your friend's find and the O.P.'s find! Although your friend's find is apparently of some significance, it clearly shows the use of Petroglyphs. However, the O.P.'s find is clearly a Tally Marked engraved Pendant with high significance and I believe shows the use of Heiroglyphics vs Petroglyphs. In fact, the inner markings on the O.P's piece somewhat resemble early Hebrew Heiroglyphics and seem to be conveying a message by a written type of communication (language) vs telling a story via the use of Petroglyphs. While I could never be confused with a Expert on Petroglyphs, Heiroglyphics or Ancient or even later written languages, IMHO the two pieces are completely different in the message that they convey and how it was conveyed! Frank

I am sure they are completely different, and I wasn't trying to insinuate otherwise. I was merely making a generalized comparison – that since both rocks "seem" to tell a story, no matter what "glyphs" they are written in, that one rock simply reminded me of the other. As far as "some significance" vs. "high significance" I will have to yield to your expertise, as both of these are so far removed from my areas of interest, I haven't enough knowledge to do otherwise. One thing that does intrigue me though, is how polished the OP's rock is, which I assume came from stream polishing since it was found in the water, yet how sharp and crisp the the details have remained over however many centuries it's been in the water. Please note that I am in no way trying to say or insinuate anything here either .. just a comparative observation that I find intriguing.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure they are completely different, and I wasn't trying to insinuate otherwise. I was merely making a generalized comparison – that since both rocks "seem" to tell a story, no matter what "glyphs" they are written in, that one rock simply reminded me of the other. As far as "some significance" vs. "high significance" I will have to yield to your expertise, as both of these are so far removed from my areas of interest, I haven't enough knowledge to do otherwise. One thing that does intrigue me though, is how polished the OP's rock is, which I assume came from stream polishing since it was found in the water, yet how sharp and crisp the the details have remained over however many centuries it's been in the water. Please note that I am in no way trying to say or insinuate anything here either .. just a comparative observation that I find intriguing.

creskol,

I am sorry if my post came across too strong! I surely did not mean it in a bad way whatsoever and if it was taken as such, then please accept my trully heartfelt apologies to you and on behalf of your friends find!

I misunderstood and thought you were comparing the messages on both more than what the items actually were. It is highly likely that your friend's find had important significance to the Maker and probably his or her family. It appears that it may have been a memento of an event in someone's life and was probably displayed inside their' lodge with pride. Not to downgrade the item in any way but I believe that the O.P.'s find was worn by someone in the tribe of significance and that the piece represented something of significance.

Frank

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
just way cool monster
glad to see it up top on the banner!

you put a lot of time into this hobby in many ways
you deserve it!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a lifetime right there...very glad it made the BANNER...

Sorry I missed your post...would have gladly voted BANNER.

This hobby is full of thrills and information....well done !!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree well done MonsterRack. Great piece. I came in from work and saw where the members voted it up to "Banner". Rare find and now we all get to see it and appreciate it. Proves that treasure comes in many form. Congratulations sir!

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just need to be sure that everyone understands , when I say I found it in a creek, it's not the type of creek that comes to most folks mind and maybe what I'm going to try to get folks to understand is how far up the creek I hunt and maybe it will help someone else go that far. When you say creek most folks think of something like this in the photo. 112-25-13 006.JPG Creeks like that one has artifacts, but it hard for them to survive (I have found some in this creek). My best hunting comes from the creeks that feed into ones like the one in the photo. This photo is of the creek that I found the pendent in and all the points and pottery from my post before I found the pendent. Rodney 002.JPG Rodney 003.JPG If you notice there is not much gravel in this creek/drain, what you are seeing in the photo is pieces of iron stone crust and this is 3 to 4 miles down stream from my next photo. 2-8-14 032.JPG This show that there is no gravel or mud just a clay bottom. Where I found my pendent was 2 miles up stream from this spot, and the creek/drain bottom is only 2 to 3 ft wide with not much trash, water or mud and the end of this creek/drain was only 1/2 mile up stream. The photo of my find in the water is just how much water was seeping through that area. This creek /drain can not be seen by google earth all you can see is a dip in the tree tops. I'm putting all this up for folks to read so maybe they will go the extra mile or two. The farther up stream you hunt the less chance the artifacts have of being broken, but this type of hunting is not for the faint of heart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread