Unbelievably fine serrations

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
My collection is like a box of gravel compared to what most of you folks post, but they're pretty special to me. Some day I'll have to post some of my better, almost-complete points. This tiny fragment was nothing special when I picked it up. I knew it was worked, and that was it. I took a closer look at home and was amazed by the fine serration. I believe this was made by the Native American with the best eyesight in history. The fragment is right around a half inch long. Thought you all might get a kick out of seeing it. MP

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0795.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0795.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Copy of IMG_0796.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0796.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would of been a nice point. Lets see your better ones.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who ever made knew what they were doing and had a real sharp pointed flaking tool. Great find:thumbsup:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
20 serrations / inch is fine for sure. No doubt there's no gravel in your collection. There is art, science and beauty in a great many broken artifacts. I've said many times I'd rather have a part of a remarkable piece than all of an unremarkable piece. The piece you have pictured is a perfect example of why. Nice find.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 serrations / inch is fine for sure. No doubt there's no gravel in your collection. There is art, science and beauty in a great many broken artifacts. I've said many times I'd rather have a part of a remarkable piece than all of an unremarkable piece. The piece you have pictured is a perfect example of why. Nice find.
I like this !!!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat little frag! Love the serration- and I'm w/ Twitch- better to have a small piece of awesome than a whole lot of 'eh'. Let's see the rest!! :thumbsup: Yakker

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

I have a buddy that has a much nicer collection than mine. He's called me twice to tell me he can't stop thinking about this serrated piece.

Don't get me wrong, I love every fragment that I found that shows working. Their all something that, for a time anyway, was very dear to the person who was making them. But then I look at a point like the one in your avatar and really wish I could find something whole and perfect.

Here's another pic I have of some of my collection. The items you see that are clearly not tools are either fragments of old glass that I thought would make the pic more interesting, or flakes/nodules of unique materials that they were working. I get a kick out of anything non-obsidian, simply because it's unique in my area. I suspect that's also why they were using it.
IMG_0787.JPG

Wow. That pic showed up tiny. This site has changed enough that I might need to ask for help in adding a larger photo to this thread!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see some nice pieces in that pic- try a couple close-ups of non-glass?? Please and thank-you! HH! Yak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread