Your thoughts on these artifacts most appreciated

Niner

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "inherited" these Indian artifacts from a client of mine. An old pioneer farmer, he had them all piled up in the back corner of his yard. I asked him about those rocks when I was working there one day and a big chunk of black obsidian caught my eye, and upon further investigation it was a huge pile of mortars and pestles. One day, Archie told me that he knew I appreciated his collection of artifacts and wanted me to have them. See, he was dying and he knew it and insisted I take them.

I've given several of samples away, but thought you folks would like to see them.
2wfvhja.jpg

Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Niner Very cool stuff, I've heard of museums paying LOTS of money for mortar and pestle type artifacts such as yours. The indentations can be found in huge rocks along the South western river systems. These places were used for many centuries by the kumyayay (spelling) to grind acorns into flower in close proximity to the water source....The indentations can sometimes be found far from modern water and often mark the old active beds of rivers from hundreds or thousands of years ago. All the portable ones like the ones you have presented are long gone, and for the most part completely lost to time.

Last edited:

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
This one is extra impressive

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140315_182440.png
    ForumRunner_20140315_182440.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 105

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
And I'd like to see better pics of this

Attachments

• IMG_20140315_182933.jpg
    IMG_20140315_182933.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 100

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice examples and I am glad they went to a good home. They are worth a good bit of money just so you know, rock

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is real good of him to pass on a collection, and if I were you I would keep it all together . Thanks for posting:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Niner

Niner

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archie was one of the first tomato farmers in the Sacramento Valley. Many years ago he was the first to plow up some virgin bottomland that had historically flooded for centuries, I have to hand it to him, he got off his plow and chucked these artifacts off to the side of his work and kept them. You can see the plow disc marks on many of the rocks, and he said he broke more that he brought home.

As he plowed up that virgin river bottom land he'd occasionally kick up a rock that shouldn't be there. Granite and obsidian have no business being in that valley, buried in dirt. They weren't indigenous to the area at all.
dp74vl.jpg

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! what an impressive collection! Ya might think about marking them w/ place of origin, and finder's name before giving them away. At least that way, someone down the road will know where they were found- which is not necessarily the origin of the rock itself. Just a thought... Those long boys are so often broken- it's great to see them whole! Yakker

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a nice collection you have there, and also a quite fortunate gift.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread