Always been curious about these

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the 1st thing about stone artifacts, But here are a few pieces I've eyeballed while metal detecting some farm fields in my area over the years. Just like to know what you guys think. arrowheads 084.JPG Thanx, mr.b

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Im sure somebody will be able to tell you the types on them and the age.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking finds. First looks like a Morrow Mountain. 2 looks like a Caraway or other triangle tpye. 3 looks like a nice Kirk. 4 may be a rare Hardaway/Dalton or a much younger Yadkin. Material makes it hard to tell from the picture. Not sure on the next 2 but the last one looks to be a Savannah River. 5 maybe a beat up Stanly and 6 maybe a heavily resharpened Mountion Mountain

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking finds. First looks like a Morrow Mountain. 2 looks like a Caraway or other triangle tpye. 3 looks like a nice Kirk. 4 may be a rare Hardaway/Dalton or a much younger Yadkin. Material makes it hard to tell from the picture. Not sure on the next 2 but the last one looks to be a Savannah River.

He is the one I was hoping would stop by for you Mr B

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking finds. First looks like a Morrow Mountain. 2 looks like a Caraway or other triangle tpye. 3 looks like a nice Kirk. 4 may be a rare Hardaway/Dalton or a much younger Yadkin. Material makes it hard to tell from the picture. Not sure on the next 2 but the last one looks to be a Savannah River. 5 maybe a beat up Stanly and 6 maybe a heavily resharpened Mountion Mountain
Thanks! Most appear to be made from quartz. Have no idea what 4,5. and 6 are made of. I know #5 looks red when wet.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big thanks to you guys! The knowledge on TN blows me away. I've never actively hunted for stone artifacts, but that's about to change! Any tips?

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plowed fields, new clearcuts were logging roads were made and loading docks are. Construction sites / new home sites were the top layer has not been completely removed. Some have success in creeks if they have gravel bars in them. Eroded banks- Basically anywhere you can get permission where the top layer of soil has been exposed. Look hard were you find quartz and rhyolite flakes/pottery pieces. One should turn up- Good luck

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Kirk is NICE. That's a type that I haven't found yet. Also haven't found pottery yet in NC, doesnt' mean its not out there somewhere though.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, the best time to hunt is after the field has been plowed and rained on. Don't just look for whole points.I take four or five steps then look all around. Sometimes you will walk past one. I have found points when only the tip or base was showing. Other times the whole point was just laying there waiting to be picked up. Good Providence on your next hunt and keep us posted on your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread