image.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one does the flat hoof spot have polish ?

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Hold the side with the nickel on it up to a light and on an angle. If it is shiny and shows some wear you may have a mano.

If not????

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks sort of like a river worn red brick? Hard to tell from the photos, but bricks often have those hollow pits, and get worn smooth rather quickly in some creeks and rivers. Just sayin.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 end shots is what we need to see. If not then I am going to say natural on it.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I have one mano that I found at the out cropping of a mountain that they are harvesting the volcanic rock from for grills, road rock etc. This mano has holes in it larger than 1/4". I think they grabbed whatever rock felt comfortable for them to handle and went to grinding.

Again, hold it up to the light and if it feels smooth, looks warn and is shiny it is probably a mano. As mentioned it is hard to tell from the photo.

I use an Eastwing rock hounds staff that has a clam shell at the base. I think I flip over more rocks out there than most. I quit picking up the single sided mano's and just collect the two sided ones. I have probably given half of my collection away and still have over 60 of them.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here the manos are called grinders. They usually are square and not often round. They show very little use wear. You can see a darker side with a dimple on it and 9 out of 10 it was used. They didnt really use them till they were small. I have only found 2-3 of them. That being said you will have to get better pics.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a possibility could b a pot boiler might b why it's red ?

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
I'll get better picks ..I was thinking brick also ..but the shape threw me off a little...found this on a river bank,we're been finding artifacts...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would immediately think that was a brick.
I find a lot that look just like that on the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean here

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
we call those kind camp rocks here. Most found on my hills show use wear on at least one side. I use to carry them home.
Here the manos are called grinders. They usually are square and not often round. They show very little use wear. You can see a darker side with a dimple on it and 9 out of 10 it was used. They didnt really use them till they were small. I have only found 2-3 of them. That being said you will have to get better pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread