Awsome Artifact Hunting Trip!

Silver Phoenix

Feb 22, 2007
Houston, TX USA
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet!
Had a great trip and wanted to share the experience with yall. I've included some insitus, total points found, and what else I found. It was a 4 day trip in all respects (Friday-Monday) though in time it was really more like 3, so anyways let me get started off.

Went out on the feed route next morning and when I got back I took the skinned coon to the dump--found this on the way! ;D
CIMG1422.jpg

CIMG1423.jpg

CIMG1424.jpg

Well I was pleased to find this in the field--decided I'd walk it out, after all I had been away for 7 months and the field should have had some good erosion since then. About 15 minutes later I came up with this--perd didn't knapp right so they turned it into a hide scraper instead?
CIMG1425.jpg

CIMG1426.jpg

CIMG1427.jpg

Walked the field for 30 min more or so and found nothing else--headed over to the old dig site. Walked it for about 5 and found this little beauty barely sicking out of the ground--thinnest a point can get--can't believe I saw this!
CIMG1428.jpg

I said a little prayer that it would be whole, then I slowely pulled it out--and what do ya know, it was complete!
CIMG1429.jpg

CIMG1430.jpg

Walked around for another 10 or so I think and found this broke point.
CIMG1431.jpg

CIMG1432.jpg

Well I walked all over for a couple of hours and found squat so I went with my friend (the caretaker of the ranch) on the route to fill the animal feeders back up. Got back with a couple of hours of light left so I decided to go for a dig in the abandoned site (3-4 years abandoned because of a lease agreement).

Found squat after digging at 3 walls for a while so I decided to try a final (4th) wall---found this incredible heartbreaker on the surface (dug and didn't find its mate dang it!!!)

Here it is.
CIMG1440.jpg

CIMG1442.jpg

Day 2 was pretty much spent--wanted to coon hunt that night, but later foud out I couldn't because the hunters were out.

Day 3 started off well, went out to the road next to the creek and found this ensor half.
CIMG1446.jpg

CIMG1447.jpg

Decided to check out the near by area for any more points--went on top of dirt mound and found this awsome needle sharp (ensor?)
CIMG1448.jpg

CIMG1449.jpg

CIMG1450.jpg

Well I was energized from this find and no longer had a fear of ticks ;) so I went through the brush (chopping a path with my machete as I went through cacti, masquite and brush alike) to the next mound of dirt (hauled over from the creek when it was widened).

I about jumped for joy and threw up at the same time when I saw this KILLER heartbreaker perd knife!
CIMG1451.jpg

CIMG1452.jpg

CIMG1453.jpg

I dug the hell out of that mound looking for the other half, but alas I was cursed not to find the other half this trip :'(

Well I decided to go into the forested area across from the creek next; the leaves had shifted places from the last trip so I figured some things would now be visible.

Started off finding this awsome triangular point--it's a nice one--complete ;D
CIMG1464.jpg

CIMG1465.jpg

CIMG1466.jpg

Walked around a bit more and found this in the immediate area--won't bother ya with the crapper brokes I found with it.
CIMG1467.jpg

CIMG1468.jpg

CIMG1469.jpg

Another heartbreaker that fooled me as complete--broken length ways.

Headed back for lunch and found this weird (scraper???), fluted?
CIMG1470.jpg

CIMG1471.jpg

Headed back to the forest area after lunch and found this in the road going through it.
CIMG1472.jpg

CIMG1473.jpg

CIMG1474.jpg

Another perd half (where the hell are the whole ones!!?).

Found squat else so I headed to yet another spot of mine and found this impact fractured (???) next to a tree (how the heck did I even see this?)
CIMG1478.jpg

CIMG1479.jpg

CIMG1480.jpg

Went down to the small brook next to this "picnic area" and found this nice hide scraper.
CIMG1481.jpg

CIMG1482.jpg

Found squat else so I went back to the road and walked it to see what the trucks had probably run over. I nearly fell over when I found this little (perd???) in the middle of the road. 100% complete, no damage what-so-ever.
CIMG1483.jpg

CIMG1484.jpg

CIMG1485.jpg

CIMG1486.jpg

Found nothing else--went back to the house, the day was spent. Hard rain that night (first time since early jan.)

Day 4 started off well, everything was soaked and (hopefully) many points were uncovered during the rain.
Found this heartbreaker frio right off hand in the field.
CIMG1512.jpg

CIMG1513.jpg

CIMG1514.jpg

Searched the old dump next to the field (1940's dump) and found these bases and a nice, though impact fracture broke, point.
CIMG1515.jpg

CIMG1516.jpg

CIMG1517.jpg

CIMG1518.jpg

CIMG1519.jpg

CIMG1520.jpg

CIMG1521.jpg

That was all I found that morning besides a gary base--had to pack up and leave to sabinal to look there.

Only found these in the creek, no points there yet!!!
CIMG1526.jpg

CIMG1537.jpg

Also found these on day 3 (Sunday) of the trip, but decided not to bother yall with bottle insitus lol--from the old, tick infested dump. I'm the only person to ever go there in at least 30-50 years--had to hack through A LOT of crap to get there--took about 15 min just to get a trail through :P
CIMG1533.jpg

CIMG1534.jpg

CIMG1535.jpg

Many interesting bottles--bayer asprin bottle, tabasco bottle, glass insulator and much more.

Here's the point total for the trip--5 complete, 4 near complete, and many halves and less. Many a good tool as well---found 2 pieces of some kind of ground, polished tool--broken long ago it seems :'(

I collected from about 300 acres total, most all of which I have walked (most I had to blaze a trail to), and to this day I have found more points on the ranch than all other persons there combined--I have posted a pic of all of the points, brokes included, that I have found there.

Damage total--4 days, 3 ticks, 2 half dollar size blisters and many a dime size more, plus gas--but heck it was well worth it and I'll definitly be taking many a trip more there in the future.

Thanks for taking a look, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did ;D

CIMG1532.jpg

CIMG1531.jpg

From this trip.

From trips past.
CIMG1212.jpg

CIMG1206.jpg

CIMG1204.jpg

Upvote 0

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I am speechless (believe me that doesn't happen often)!

All I can say is thanks for taking us along on the trip, wonderful post, awesome finds, took me quite the while to get through it and then I started all over again.

I really wish I was there, by the way what state was that in?

AWESOME!

T

TreasureTales

Nice collection from just 4 days. It would take 4 months to find that many whole artifacts where I go. The photo story was great. Thank you for it!

I'd be curious to know which state, too.

OP
OP
Silver Phoenix

Silver Phoenix

Feb 22, 2007
Houston, TX USA
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet!
;D Thanks for the comments! I had fun on the trip and now I can re-live it too :D

This was in Del Rio, Texas

Chase (chupa)

T

TreasureTales

Your own tools are quite interesting. ;) Some day somebody is gonna find them in the dirt and wonder what the heck they were used for and who used them. He will never know they were used for finding the artifacts of the previous culture. It's just one big circle, isn't it? Human activity, I mean.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking us along, nice finds,

I guessed New Mexico, ;D

Fossis...................

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
yes, thanks for the trip. I really like the needle point, looks like things I find around here(we don't get the big stuff as much as you do).

colin

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an awesome hunting trip...love the layout of artifacts on the ground and then in your hand. Just wished I had a digital camera when I was searching my fields last year. Thanks for sharing with us. ;D

;) RR

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
:o WOW! WONderful finds! You're persistant, eager, and thoughtful-- for having taken such great 'insitus' and for taking us all along on your journey. What a treat for US! You rock! NICE work- and, of course, HAPPY HUNTING, friend!

A

Authenticator

Your killing me Chase. I like your new handle... 10-4 good buddy ;)

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Where's the snake pics Chase?Haven't seen you posting on the other site in awhile.I really want you to show everyone your artifact hunting outfit.It's the bomb :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions