What type of things should we know when determining grinding stones vs river rocks

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
What are some indications that a rock is a grinding stone vs a river rock. I guess as a non expert it is hard for me to determine whether a rock in hand created something or a rock rolling in the river. Here is a picture example of a rock I found that Im sure is just a river rock, but intrigued me by its shape.

Attachments

• riverrock.jpg
    riverrock.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends upon where you are and the type of rock and the culture it was associated with and what is was used for. I know that sounds confusing. But western verses eastern is different due to material and food source.
Later cultures had more time to create to elaborate items for the kitchen. Early cultures spent their skills on the flint.
Remember that the mortar and pestle had to be able to with stand working with each other for the task. When looking at a cupulet see if it would with stand use wear. Hope some of this makes sense.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grinding stone will have the shape of a bowl like the ones in your kitchen and will show wear on the bottom and the sides. I would have pick up that rock myself and brought it home:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions