What kind of pottery is this?

JWT70

May 26, 2012
I found it in Ga. It's different than any other Indian pottery that I've ever found.

ForumRunner_20140324_182246.png

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Mississippian period.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type is this I found it today and cant get a id on it? Dry and wet pic. Found in GA also

Attachments

• SDC10721.JPG
    SDC10721.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • SDC10716.JPG
    SDC10716.JPG
    767.2 KB · Views: 108

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the pieces photographed here look "Swift Creek" to me.
Swift Creek complicated stamped

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swift Creek bowl - side 9br663 ln1083 tu68 lv1 c5 sp1413 - small.jpg
rock.... you wanna know something pretty cool? I think your piece may have been stamped with the exact same wooden paddle as this one.
I think you might live close to the "Leake site"
It's up for debate whether or not the paddles themselves traveled and were traded or the pottery vessels.. Since evidence has been found that the same paddle including small imperfections in the wood was used to stamp pottery found hundreds of miles apart from each other.
Personally I think the pottery vessels were used to put trade items in and the vessels themselves are what traveled from place to place so you would wind up with vessels from different villages Trading Places
www.bartowdig.com/

Last edited:

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece of pottery rock.Your pottery is sure stamped nicer than ours.I can say that they sure didn't do much for designs or art on anything I've found...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where the Leake site is but dont dare go there. I know where all the sites are but stay away from them due to not wanting to go to jail. I had a page marked for pottery but cant find it now.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where the Leake site is but dont dare go there. I know where all the sites are but stay away from them due to not wanting to go to jail. I had a page marked for pottery but cant find it now.

LoL.. Well that should go without saying.
But what you could do and what a lot of other folks do is pay close attention to where those sites are and what waterways connect them and look into getting permission to hunt along those routes.
Or use that information to possibly get a better understanding about how your area fits into their locations.. So you may have a little insight when it comes to getting permission on new properties and where to start looking.
In my experience the more you can eliminate luck the better you can spend your time and the more successful you will be

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the creeks around here flow into that river. Creek Indians were here for the longest time period then the Cherokee Indians came and ran them out. Thanks I already know allot the history of my area. The pottery has such a long stretch of history it is hard to always get a proper ID on it sometimes. Thanks for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread