two years of beach walking

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Thought I'd share the last two years of walking my favorite beach. Most of this came off a dredge site( where they spewed the sand and rocks), but some came from the shores around the channel they dredged. Almost everything has something missing, it's amazing to me that anything came through the tube without being smashed. If there is anything you'd like to see up close let me know and I'll take close-ups. The piece between the big stones looks like the tip to a sheath but I don't know what it's made of. Also the pottery and flakes on the bottom are from the carribean(nevis). The smooth oblong stone in the bottom pic caught my eye. Nevis natural rock is very porous, and this came out of the ground at about the same level as the pottery if not deeper, any clues?

Thanks for looking
colin

Attachments

• calebs2.jpg
    calebs2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 489
  • calebs3.jpg
    calebs3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 476
  • nevis1.jpg
    nevis1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some good times,

Nice finds, Fossis....................

OP
OP
tomsneck

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Thank you gentleman. Any time looking is a good time ;D fossis,and your welcome Mike. I just love holding anything that was worked, big or small.

Thanks again

colin

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Nice two year collection Tomsneck.The thought of collecting artifacts along a beach sounds very appealing to me.What a relaxing endeavor that must be.We are finally seeing the ground around here but not for long.They are predicting 8-14 inches for saturday.I would love to see some of your stuff a little closer.I'm trying to see if any of your materials are the same as ours.Most of my points and blades are made of green quartzite.It appears to me you have some similar materials.I have read that in one Maine site there were materials from 5 different states.I am now trying to make the connection of materials from one of my digs to materials originating in Labrador.Ramah chert coming from Ramah Bay.This chert has been found in sites as far south as the Maritimes and Maine.I believe I have found some in a particular dig of mine.Is that center item a gouge?It has the characteristics of one.Does it have any channeling on it?

OP
OP
tomsneck

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
jbl04410 said:
Nice two year collection Tomsneck.The thought of collecting artifacts along a beach sounds very appealing to me.What a relaxing endeavor that must be.We are finally seeing the ground around here but not for long.They are predicting 8-14 inches for saturday.I would love to see some of your stuff a little closer.I'm trying to see if any of your materials are the same as ours.Most of my points and blades are made of green quartzite.It appears to me you have some similar materials.I have read that in one Maine site there were materials from 5 different states.I am now trying to make the connection of materials from one of my digs to materials originating in Labrador.Ramah chert coming from Ramah Bay.This chert has been found in sites as far south as the Maritimes and Maine.I believe I have found some in a particular dig of mine.Is that center item a gouge?It has the characteristics of one.Does it have any channeling on it?

Beach walking is great, except for the winter winds. I'll put up some close-ups from this beach soon.I can't figure out how to light the quartz well but as soon as I do I'll post them. I'm pretty sure the center item is a celt(I was told straight blade=celt curved=adze?), Either way there is no channeling on it. It's interesting, I find alot of flakes of various stone but don't always find points and such to match it, some day!! ;D

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
nice finds here is my best beach find

Attachments

• DSC03234.JPG
    DSC03234.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC03234.JPG
    DSC03234.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 297