metal arrowhead

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Posted elsewhere but I wondered if anyone might have an idea for the age of this arrowhead from New England

ForumRunner_20140330_182125.png

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice points what is the deal with the holes in them?They look random...

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Interesting about the Levanna point and Late Woodland period. I've been reading up. No doubt thats it

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 5/8ths of an inch the musket ball would be around a .69 cal. If metal possibly canister shot. Any way you look at it you are in a old area. Good luck.

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome metal point, I'd love to find one.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Thanks. Seems to be kind of unusual . Wish it could talk!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great examples of the variety of copper/brass trade points that can be found in southern New England. Thanks for posting those. I have found a couple of the style I illustrated above here in Rhode Island. Sounds like donkarlos's stuff was probably SE Ma. Those are nice, and date 1600's in all likelihood. I love Contact Era stuff. Like finding things that were used when the Pilgrims were here, etc., all the names from Contact Era history, both native and colonial alive when the point was used.

Charl can you date this one I just dug? here is my thread so you can reply to Johnny Blaze with your opinion
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...dian-point-coppers-reale-eagle-buttons-4.html
Leddel (dan) has been working with the Pequot museum on digs and when Dan was with me this hunt He explained that this point is 1600's.we got Johnny Blaze saying no mine could be late 1700's and was shot while riding on horseback.and added the link to this thread to my thread.
may we have the verdict please? Dan is pretty sure it's a Narragansett tribe brass kettle point and I trust his expertise
thanks,
Dave
AWESOME point by the way Don!

Attachments

• IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a Copper kettle metal point that was made by a native. Nice find.!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl can you date this one I just dug? here is my thread so you can reply to Johnny Blaze with your opinion
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...dian-point-coppers-reale-eagle-buttons-4.html
Leddel (dan) has been working with the Pequot museum on digs and when Dan was with me this hunt He explained that this point is 1600's.we got Johnny Blaze saying no mine could be late 1700's and was shot while riding on horseback.and added the link to this thread to my thread.
may we have the verdict please? Dan is pretty sure it's a Narragansett tribe brass kettle point and I trust his expertise
thanks,
Dave
AWESOME point by the way Don!

Hi. Yes, I replied to Johnny Blaze at that thread. Depends on where you found it. In RI and far eastern Ct., no free roaming natives after King Philip's War and we were pretty far from the frontier during the French and Indian Wars to suffer raids. Frequent raids in central southern New England, so if a brass point is found in that region, could be from native raids in the 18th century. Deerfield, Ma. was raided a lot and destroyed by French and Indians in 1704. So you might find 18th century brass points in the frontier areas of southern New England. However, if found in RI or far eastern Ct., then yes, it's 1600's with 99% certainty. I don't know where you found it, but I'm assuming you found it in Narragansett country, which would make it 17th century in all likelihood. Those holes were to aid in hafting or to strand and carry.

BTW, there is no way of determining if that was used on foot or horseback.

Styles of 17th century metal points from southern New England. According to the Handbook of Indian Artifacts from Southern New England, "at sites in the Ct. Valley, these appear with increasing frequency during the first 50 years of the 17th century, replacing cherts and jaspers imported from west of New England".

BTW, you found a super example. Contact Era artifacts are among my favorite. Made at a time when we can put faces and names to natives and and English both. Very cool.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread