metal arrowhead

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Posted elsewhere but I wondered if anyone might have an idea for the age of this arrowhead from New England

ForumRunner_20140330_182125.png

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of context was it found in? looking at the other items and the lack of patina on the metal.. I'd say it wasn't very old and might have been just a trinket.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Old colonial wagon trail. Found musket ball, 1820 large cent, pewter flatware (pictured), pieces of buckle, etc.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything you just mentioned. I see a Roosevelt dime where's the musket ball and large cent?

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Other posts..I was just giving an idea of the area

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Here is a close up of the back side to show some of the patina

ForumRunner_20140330_202807.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much better lighting on that photo.. cool piece.
Looks copper. Maybe try doing expanding circles from where you found it to see if you find anything else in that general area.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Thanks- Can't wait to go back. Targets are few but once in a while something pops up.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's any water close by I'd definitely spend some time around that

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yep. Went back and found nothing near the arrowhead site but 1/4 mile away on the road I found this beauty:

ForumRunner_20140331_160340.png

My second musket ball in this area

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that still dirt on it or is that rust?
Also is that inches or centimeters? I can't really get a good measurement of either since it is closer to the camera than the measuring tool.
I know these questions aren't related to Native American artifacts and that is the forum we're in but I'm trying to establish a time period For the objects. I even looked at your other thread in the other forum and I'm having a hard time seeing anything that dates back to that time period

Last edited:
OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Its dirt - I tend not to clean stuff much. Couldn't find my caliper so yep, the yardstick's dimension is unclear but it is about 5/8".
As for other area finds - I found this large cent last year:

ForumRunner_20140331_214132.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good luck in your future hunts.
Walking long distances along a trail you're probably crossing many different areas settled and occupied by many different people over time.
That large cent is made of copper and in amazing condition considering the length of time it must have been out in the elements.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You didn't mention what state. If found in southeastern New England, and if it's a metal point, would date to the 17th century. Photo shows typical 17th century triangles cut from metal kettles for the most part. These are from a Seneca Iroquois site in NY. Your point looks pretty thick for a native made trade point. I've never seen one that style, but looks like a point to me; not much else it could be. From Western Ma. into northern New England, natives were still free roaming in the 18th century, and the point could date 18th century. Western Ma. was still frontier. The town of Deerfield, Ma was attacked several times in the French and Indian Wars.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yep, southeastern NE. Thanks for the info and history. The design does look a little different from those kettle arrowheads as you pointed out. Here is another arrowhead I found in the region, but made of stone. It has a similar shape.

ForumRunner_20140401_112113.png

I might add that my metal arrowhead seems to me to be quite thin, but maybe the picture doesn't make it seem so.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, southeastern NE. Thanks for the info and history. The design does look a little different from those kettle arrowheads as you pointed out. Here is another arrowhead I found in the region, but made of stone. It has a similar shape.

I might add that my metal arrowhead seems to me to be quite thin, but maybe the picture doesn't make it seem so.

Just looked thicker then average is all. They're usually extremely thin. It's a nice find. The black point is a felsite Levanna point. It dates to the Late Woodland, in the 500-1000 year old range.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Wow you're kidding me! I was hopin for a couple hundred years old. Thanks

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
yes what part of So.N.E. was it found in ?? It don't look too far off to a tradition type of point
from around these parts but there were many tribes and subtribes. here are a few typs of points we've found in southern Ct.

Attachments

• 007 medium resolution.jpg
    007 medium resolution.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 150
  • del_brass_conical_arrow_point.jpg
    del_brass_conical_arrow_point.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 143
  • possible point found.JPG
    possible point found.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 142
  • conical2%20014.jpg
    conical2%20014.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 495

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a nice copper arrowhead.and nice story.the stone one does look like the copper one,really neat thanks for sharing that.i wonder who showed them the copper,the indians who were already using it,or the french?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes what part of So.N.E. was it found in ?? It don't look too far off to a tradition type of point
from around these parts but there were many tribes and subtribes. here are a few typs of points we've found in southern Ct.

Great examples of the variety of copper/brass trade points that can be found in southern New England. Thanks for posting those. I have found a couple of the style I illustrated above here in Rhode Island. Sounds like donkarlos's stuff was probably SE Ma. Those are nice, and date 1600's in all likelihood. I love Contact Era stuff. Like finding things that were used when the Pilgrims were here, etc., all the names from Contact Era history, both native and colonial alive when the point was used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread