✅ SOLVED Todays Find! WOOHOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first piece of pottery today! WOOHOO! Been collecting artifacts for over 20 years and I finally found one for myself. I have a friend from TX that gave me a whole bunch of Caddo pottery and this piece looks similar. The only difference is this piece has a more polished/smooth texture. Then that very unusual fibrous/hard dark green stone was laying on the sand bar next to it. I've been collecting rocks and gem mining and I've never seen a crystal like it before. Then just before dark I search the same field I found the chunk of rhyolite in yesterday. All I found was a marble? DANG! I'm guessing it's 1900s but if it older could someone let me know what they think. Still had a great day! Thanks and happy huntin' to all!

Attachments

• 0401142025.jpg
    0401142025.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 0401141820.jpg
    0401141820.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 0401142023.jpg
    0401142023.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but I think you have part of a salt glazed ceramic jug or vase probably from the 1800's
The other piece looks like a fossil

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Looks like you have collected some too. Your probably right. I knew my piece looked funny when I compared it to what I have already. That stone is not a fossil though. It is not a calcium composition. This piece is very very hard and fibrous, I've never seen a fossil from a mtn. stream around here. It kinda reminds me of an epidote crystal. I can't even make a scratch with a knife. I was wanting to test to see if I can take some flakes off of it b/c at first, I thought it might be steatite. I estimated a MOH's hardness of quartz or harder.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that its hard as stone makes me think even more that is a fossil.
You have it in your hand not me.
Most of the fossil bone I collect... if I were to tap it on my teeth it would sound like porcelain.. And shatter just like it if it were struck.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm wrong but this is kinda looks like yours
ForumRunner_20140401_214905.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually kind of looks like a piece of fossil deer antler.
Here is a large one.

ForumRunner_20140401_215223.png

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only shells I see around here are from the terrestrial snails. If you know of another mineral I can classify this as, I would appreciate the help. Otherwise I'm not really worried about it. I'm going to go to a new site on Thursday in another part of NC. I'm going to be in Stanly Co. which is west of the Uhwarrie Mtns. and just east of Reed Gold Mine. If I find something else or a real treasure I'll share it with yall.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty certain it's not a mineral its a fossil

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has one spot or crystal on the edge that has a dark blue/green translucency. That is all the results I can give right now. I don't think I'll be able to take a good pic of it but I would. So I'm still not convinced that it's a fossil unless you can show me that a deer antler's edge can be translucent. I really appreciate your help though. You showed me some quick pictures. Thanks.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice marble. I found a piece of that old type of crockery yesterday. The inside was brown like allot of pottery but the outside was slick like glaze. I pitched it.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, GB I wanna believe you. I think you may be leaving out some info to help me make this decision. My question is since you think this is a fossil: isn't there a process that makes fossils harder over time? Silicification or petrification? It may be what your saying but I'm seeing a mineral here that has formed from natural processes over 10s of 1000s of years. You are about to make this a learning thread for me but I'm not convinced that it's actually from a deer yet. Why not a dinosaur? There is a range of age from the animals living now to animals living millions of years ago. This has to fall in between that range if truly a fossil.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice marble. I found a piece of that old type of crockery yesterday. The inside was brown like allot of pottery but the outside was slick like glaze. I pitched it.
Lol. That's what it is. The inside is brown. I'm going to keep b/c I enjoy finding "pieces" of history. Especially from an area I am familiar with. I like the theory "one mans trash is another mans treasure." I found an 1800s purple glass cocktail bottle on the same land and it even had some label on it. It wasn't readable but still a piece of history for the area. I know this is an artifact forum but I'm glad I posted here so you guys can set me straight.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking deer and not dinosaur because of the formation in your area.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. That's what it is. The inside is brown. I'm going to keep b/c I enjoy finding "pieces" of history. Especially from an area I am familiar with. I like the theory "one mans trash is another mans treasure." I found an 1800s purple glass cocktail bottle on the same land and it even had some label on it. It wasn't readable but still a piece of history for the area. I know this is an artifact forum but I'm glad I posted here so you guys can set me straight.

I have some I have found. If it has a nice design, color or a date printed on it I keep it.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking deer and not dinosaur because of the formation in your area.

You know the formation of my area too? You must be a walking geographic information system. I still see a mineral by composition overall, but if you're still trying to explain to me the origin of this, then you need to tell how can the natural processes here make it like that? I actually seen deer bones today and they were all white. If this is an antler then I think it has to be very old and in a crystalline form. The crystalline form is fibrous. Can you tell me how an antler can chemically change to being crystalline? I've really been try to research this and I can't find anything. I even tried to Google the composition of deer antler. There is many minerals that it gave me. I am trying to extend my research from what you have told me but I can't find a good source. If you could cite me a source or provide a link to verify this being a fossil I would really really appreciate it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My friend found a whole jug still intact last yr. It was missing the top though but it had a water spout at the base. It was quite cool looking. I found a "Mc Coy bowl last yr and I use it keep some of my artifacts in it now. Scraper bowl :icon_thumleft:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds ,i really like finding marbles.i think you have a rock in your hand too.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know the formation of my area too? You must be a walking geographic information system. I still see a mineral by composition overall, but if you're still trying to explain to me the origin of this, then you need to tell how can the natural processes here make it like that? I actually seen deer bones today and they were all white. If this is an antler then I think it has to be very old and in a crystalline form. The crystalline form is fibrous. Can you tell me how an antler can chemically change to being crystalline? I've really been try to research this and I can't find anything. I even tried to Google the composition of deer antler. There is many minerals that it gave me. I am trying to extend my research from what you have told me but I can't find a good source. If you could cite me a source or provide a link to verify this being a fossil I would really really appreciate it.

You don't seem to understand what a fossil is.
When something is fossilized minerals have replaced the biological material.... Simply put it's not bone anymore.
Good luck.
I'm not saying I know what it is I'm just giving you my opinion if you want to search something on Google search North Carolina fossils

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
duffytrash.. is the marble king here on tn,he can tell ya about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread