Seadog72

Mar 29, 2014
Stewart County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone follow up on Don Miller's situation? The latest I've read:

"It is not entirely clear which, if any, of the items might have been illegally obtained, and the rules regarding the removal or collection of cultural artifacts are complex, involving state, federal and international laws.

"Some of the things he had were improper to possess," FBI Special Agent Drew Northern said. He did not elaborate.
Agents from the FBI's art crime team left Miller's home on Monday after confiscating part, but not all, of his massive collection, Northern said. The FBI is making an inventory of the artifacts to determine their legal status, "with the intent of repatriation," he said. He would not say how many artifacts were removed.

"At no time was Dr. Miller detained, in custody or arrested," Northern said, adding that the nonagenarian has cooperated with investigators. The U.S. attorney's office did not return a phone call seeking to determine whether Miller faced any charges, and a check of online court records found no charges against him have been filed."

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy had a human skull with an arrow head stuck in it as part of his collection... That alone should explain all the mystery and wonder about why such a big deal was made

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I served our country for 20 years and I am a veteran of a foreign war. I am proud that I served but most of the time I am disgusted by our government. I haven't been able to find out exactly what he had that was considered illegal (I wonder why?) and warranted an FBI raid. I could see him being arrested if he was out digging up burial mounds or was in the possession of an Egyptian sarcophagus complete with mummy.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the very first article I read it stated generally what happened was someone came into his home I think to do some work and happened to see what appeared to be a human skull with a stone projectile point stuck in it... he subsequently reported that which led to what would in most places be treated as a homicide investigation until further evidence could be brought in.. And more than likely put things in a light that would put everything in question about whether or not it came from a burial

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the very first article I read it stated generally what happened was someone came into his home I think to do some work and happened to see what appeared to be a human skull with a stone projectile point stuck in it... he subsequently reported that which led to what would in most places be treated as a homicide investigation until further evidence could be brought in.. And more than likely put things in a light that would put everything in question about whether or not it came from a burial

That makes a lot of sense. In my opinion it is extremely wrong to collect human remains and items that are specifically related to a burial. Those are sacred and should be returned to the culture from which they came. I sure wouldn't want someone to dig up my ancestors and display them in their house!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I think law enforcement probably had a pretty complicated job on this one

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I would have to say that if someone reports seeing a human skull in a house with an arrowhead stuck in it, other human remains (as the article reports) and shrunken heads (as the article reports) I would think that law enforcement would have an obligation to investigate.

Sounds like when law enforcement got in the house, the investigation just snow balled. My fair guess would be that he is 91 yrs old and nothing is going to happen except he will loose a good portion of his collection.

Last edited:

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree as well. My only question would be, did they really have to confiscate everything? It would be pretty easy for an archeologist to go in and identify those items that had nothing to do with human remains.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how information that is not completely correct get spread so quickly... They did not confiscate everything there has been no reports as to what has and what has not been confiscated or otherwise handled

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree as well. My only question would be, did they really have to confiscate everything? It would be pretty easy for an archeologist to go in and identify those items that had nothing to do with human remains.

That is what I was responding to.
Yes it would be very easy to determine what was human biological matter and what was not but it's more complicated than that

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say that if someone reports seeing a human skull in a house with an arrowhead stuck in it, other human remains (as the article reports) and shrunken heads (as the article reports) I would think that law enforcement would have an obligation to investigate.

Sounds like when law enforcement got in the house, the investigation just snow balled. My fair guess would be that he is 91 yrs old and nothing is going to happen except he will loose a good portion of his collection.

I'm not sure if Shrunken Heads are Illegal across the Board.
Don't quote me on the date, But I think in the 80's When the Phrase Yuppi's first came into
use. There was an Article about real Shrunken Heads being a favorite Collectors item
of the Wealthy. in later years in order to keep up with the demand, they started using Monkeys
instead of Human Beings. This may have upset the animal lovers :tongue3: but again...
if there were laws created were they retroactive or were the ones already here Grandfathered.

around the same time Human Skulls could be purchased through Witchcraft & Curio houses
for $100.00 & complete skeletons for around $350.00
I remember seeing them & in fact I had purchased a Skull that was Articulated for Medical Use.
& later sold it to an antique shop at a decent profit.

Now they sell on Ebay for outrageous prices, Because legal Specimens are getting rare

genuine human skull | eBay

But again Not illegal unless dug. even His Specimen with the Arrow,
may have been Fake or legal when he purchased

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is what I was responding to.
Yes it would be very easy to determine what was human biological matter and what was not but it's more complicated than that

Thanks GatorBoy, I will read the attached article. I think maybe I originally read a different article online. Sorry if I was misleading anyone...that was not my intention!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I could tell you were genuine.. It was good chatting with you and thank you for your service by the way

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no-problemo.jpg

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
To have a skull is cognitive dissidence. Displaying a human skull as If it were a deer. Wrong wrong!! A museum in my area had a native skull on display. It was professionally excavated in the late 60's. They had to remove the skull about 10 years back. No one knows what happened to the skull. I hope it was taken back to the ground in which it was removed.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure if Shrunken Heads are Illegal across the Board.
Don't quote me on the date, But I think in the 80's When the Phrase Yuppi's first came into
use. There was an Article about real Shrunken Heads being a favorite Collectors item
of the Wealthy. in later years in order to keep up with the demand, they started using Monkeys
instead of Human Beings. This may have upset the animal lovers :tongue3: but again...
if there were laws created were they retroactive or were the ones already here Grandfathered.

around the same time Human Skulls could be purchased through Witchcraft & Curio houses
for $100.00 & complete skeletons for around $350.00
I remember seeing them & in fact I had purchased a Skull that was Articulated for Medical Use.
& later sold it to an antique shop at a decent profit.

Now they sell on Ebay for outrageous prices, Because legal Specimens are getting rare

genuine human skull | eBay

But again Not illegal unless dug. even His Specimen with the Arrow,
may have been Fake or legal when he purchased

not sure about legality, but I am sure I have conversed online with some shrunken heads!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread